Anxiety is an emotion that can be caused due to an unpleasant state of inner agitation. There are some medical conditions like hyperthyroidism, heart disease, caffeine, alcoholism, cannabis, or family or social instances that can cause anxiety. There is a minor difference between anxiety and anxiety disorder and both of these can be relieved with the help of essential oils.
Aromatherapy with Essential oils helps in lowering anxiety. Essential oils are made from plants, herbs, leaves, and flowers. These oils stimulate certain areas of the brain such as the limbic system, which plays an important role in controlling emotions and it releases feel-good brain chemicals such as serotonin, so you feel relaxed and light.
Why Choose Essential Oils for Anxiety?
People prefer aromatherapy for anxiety problems as anxiety causes insomnia, restlessness, and shortness of breath, so you can use an essential oil diffuser for aromatherapy to get a good sleep and relaxation from anxiety. Here are some reasons why you should choose essential oils for anxiety:
- A Safer Option for Pregnant Women: Anxiety in pregnant women can be seen commonly at the time of labor pain or when delivery time is near. Some common reasons for anxiety in pregnancy can be financial problems, risk in pregnancy, bad marital life, etc. Pure and appropriate essential oils may be the right decision to get rid of anxiety or tension caused in Pregnancy.
- Aromatherapy: Essential oil helps in getting relief from irritability or restlessness which is common while you are experiencing anxiety. Inhaling essential oil can be the most effective method of getting relaxed while you are experiencing anxiety.
- Effective Option for Teens: Teenagers commonly go through anxiety because of either puberty or any study or social issues. In this situation, you can use essential oil diffusion methods to calm your anxiety effectively either with some prescribed medication or without medication.
Top 10 Essential Oils for Anxiety & Panic Attacks
Essential oils can be used while practicing yoga, meditation, or exercises as it boosts concentration and keeps you anxiety-free. Here is the list of best essential oils for anxiety and how to use them and get benefitted:
1. Rose Essential Oil for Anxiety
Rose essential oil is extracted from Rosa damascene plant. When inhaled or applied it targets the particular part of the brain which is responsible for controlling emotions and helps in managing unmanaged emotional flow in your body. You can take a aromatherapy session with rose essential oil for treating anxiety.
Rose essential oils also control biological factors like fluctuated heart rate, blood pressure level, breathlessness, etc. for better use of this oil you can put your feet in a bowl filled up with warm water and add few drops of rose essential oil. You can also add it to any of your cream or lotion and rub it into the skin.
2. Vetiver Essential Oil for Anxiety
Vetiver essential oil is extracted from the Vetiver plant which looks like green grass. It is also been observed that scents from grass and trees help in getting calm in anxiety. Some psychologists advise patients suffering from anxiety to take aromatherapy with natural vetiver essential oils so that they can feel relaxed.
Vetiver essential oil has a sharp and earthly smell similar to grassy fields smell. For better use, mix 1-2 drops of vetiver essential oil with 9-10 drops of carrier oil like coconut oil or jojoba oil. Now massage your temples with this mixture.
3. Lavender Essential Oil for Anxiety
Lavender oil is one of the best choices for aromatherapy. Lavender essential oil is extracted from the plant Lavandula angustifolia. Lavender works well for numerous health issues but if you are experiencing many episodes of anxiety attacks then lavender essential oil can help you relieve anxiety.
Lavender essential oil is known to be effective in insomnia or sleep disorders. For a relaxing bath add 5-6 drops of lavender essential oil with one teaspoon of carrier oil such as coconut oil.
Don't Miss: Best Essential Oil to Repel Mosquitoes
4. Bergamot Essential Oil for Anxiety
Bergamot essential oil is extracted from the skin of citrus fruit. It is been observed to be effective in treating symptoms like fatigue, and anxiety. Bergamot oil is effective in relieving anxiety, and other mood disorders by signaling the brain to release a balanced amount of dopamine and serotonin.
For better use add 2-5 drops of Bergamot essential oil to items, such as face wash and cleansers, etc. bergamot essential oil blends well with lavender, patchouli, and lime essential oil.
5. Frankincense Essential Oil for Anxiety
Frankincense essential oil is extracted from the resin of the Boswellia tree. The invigorating and soothing aroma of Frankincense essential oil assists your mind to releive the anxiety. It promotes positive thinking and calm your senses.
You can have your perfect relaxing self-care time by diffusing some drops of frankincense essential oil in a diffuser. Frankincense essential oil blends well with lime rose and sandalwood essential oil. You can also rub some drops of frankincense essential oil on your hand or temples after proper dilution.
6. Geranium Essential Oil for Anxiety
Geranium essential oil is extracted from the leaves of pelargonium graveolens. It has a slight rose-like floral scent. Geranium essential oil helps in getting relief to pregnant women mainly and also considered to reduce the anxiety associated with first stage labor.
Geranium oil helps in maintaining hormonal balance that cause repeated anxiety. Geranium essential oil blends well with clary sage essential oil, lavender essential oil, and grapefruit essential oil.
Don't Miss: 10 Essential Oils for Asthma Symptoms
7. Chamomile Essential Oil for Anxiety
Chamomile essential oil has discovered a fixed position in our kitchen racks due to its numerous health benefits. It consists of antioxidants that helps in getting better sleep and benefit health by maintaining appropriate blood pressure levels. Chamomile oil also helps to cure anxiety disorder.
Chamomile essential oil blends well with ylang-ylang, bergamot, and patchouli essential oils. For better use add some drops of chamomile essential oil after mixing it with coconut oil in your bathing water for a calming bath.
8. Ylang Ylang Essential Oil for Anxiety
Ylang ylang essential oil is extracted from the ylang ylang flower which grows on the Cananga tree. It has a heavy, floral-fruity smell. Ylang ylang oil can lower the increased blood pressure level which usually happens at the time of anxiety, it has some sedatives which promote relaxation and boost your mood.
Ylang ylang essential oil blends well with geranium, bergamot, and vetiver essential oils. It would be best if you inhale it after properly diluting it with carrier oil.
9. Jasmine Grandiflorum Essential Oil for Anxiety
Jasmine essential oil has a sweet floral scent and is extracted from flowers of the jasmine plant. Jasmine essential oil helps in getting rid of anxiety, mood swings, and body pain. It also eases nervous chills and depressive symptoms.
It helps in getting the right amount of sleep for your body. Jasmine oil can be blended with with frankincense, lemon balm, and orange essential oil for more health benefits.
Don't Miss: Top 10 Essential Oils for Stretch Marks
10. Patchouli Essential Oil for Anxiety
Patchouli essential oil is extracted from Pogostemon cablin plant and it has a sweet and spicy scent. If you feel feverish or your body temperature rises rapidly due to anxiety then patchouli oil can help you out in decreasing your body temperature and will provide a cooling sensation to your body.
The scent of Patchouli essential oil helps in calming down your uncontrollable emotions. It not only relieves panic attacks and anxiety but also works well on the skin as it has anti-aging properties and provides you a blemish-free skin. You can use 2 drops of patchouli oil after mixing it with coconut oil on your temples. It blends well with jasmine, rose, and myrrh essential oils.
How to Use Essential Oils for Anxiety
You can use different methods to cure anxiety with essential oils in your daily life, some selective and easiest ways which you can use at home are explained below:
- Diffuser: Use an essential oil diffuser for anxiety attacks it will release the scent directly to your room and works as aromatherapy for you.
- Relaxing Bath: Add 4-5 drops of any of the above mentioned essential oil in your bathing water. It will add a calming aroma to your bath and will make you feel much more relaxing.
- A Calming Spray: You can make your DIY spray with the help of essential oils which you can use to spray in your room to feel much more relaxed or you can also spray them on your clothes to let your anxiety down at all times.
Don't Miss: Best Essential Oils for Cold Sores
Essential Oil Diffuser Recipes for Anxiety
Mentioned below are few recipes to use essential oil in your routine which can calm down your anxiety:
Diffuser Blend for a Good Sleep
- Fill your diffuser with the appropriate amount of water.
- Now add 2 drops of rosemary essential oil, lavender essential oil, wild orange essential oil, and 1 drop of either peppermint or spearmint essential oil.
- Mix the blend properly, and enjoy the scent.
Mood Changing Diffuser Blend
- Fill your diffuser with the appropriate amount of water.
- Add 2 drops of orange essential oil, and bergamot essential oil.
- Enjoy the scent whenever you feel irritability or frustration due to a high level of anxiety.
Precautions to be Taken While Using Essential Oils for Anxiety
- Make to dilute essential oils with carrier oils before using them on your skin.
- Make sure to do a patch test on your elbow before using them.
- If you feel any irritation or pain after applying essential oils on your skin and immediately wash that part of your body with soap and water.
- Avoid direct contact with essential oils with your eyes.
- Some essential oils are phototoxic, so don’t go outside in the sun after applying those essential oils. Please get yourself fully educated about that specific oil before using it in any specific product or DIY.
- Use essential oils in the prescribed amount.
- If you are on medication then please consult your psychologist before going for aromatherapy on daily basis.
Anxiety is becoming a common trait in teenagers because they can’t cope with their fast-changing environment, and this sometimes ends up making them much more anxious. In these busy schedules, we all are dealing with anxiety, tensions, anxieties people should give themselves some time to sit, relax and work on themselves.
We can use Essential oils for anxiety and other problems in our daily routine. If you are looking for pure and natural essential oils then VedaOils might be the best place for you, where you can purchase Essential oils and other carrier oils in bulk.