Asthma cannot be completely cured but its symptoms can be reduced through the right treatment. The use of essential oils is one of the prominent methods that are used to get relief from Asthma. Exposure to allergens and other irritants combined with environmental and genetic factors can lead to Asthma at any stage of life.
It creates swelling in your air passages that make it narrow, and you experience difficulty while breathing. The secretion of mucus worsens the issue, and you will notice a whistle-like sound (wheezing) as you breathe in and out. Shortness of breath, coughing, wheezing, and chest pain are common symptoms of this ailment. Negligence can lead to asthma attacks that can also be life-threatening.
Recently, Studies and research on the use of essential oils for asthma attack was conducted, and it showed that essential oils are indeed quite helpful. The best thing about using essential oils is that you don’t have to alter or stop your regular medications in any way. You can use it as a wellness product and experience better results with asthma and many other issues.
Why choose an Essential Oil for Asthma Problem?
Many people use essential oils to get instant relief from nasal congestion. But Asthma problem is different from nasal congestion; it has been observed that asthmatic patients also suffer from nasal congestion occasionally. Also, you can use essential oil for Asthma, cough, and cold symptoms. Here are some of the reasons why you must use essential oils for treating and managing Asthma.
- Reduces Swelling - The Swelling that forms inside the air passages due to asthma irritates you and makes it hard to breathe normally. The anti-inflammatory properties of essential oils reduce swelling and soothe irritation instantly.
- Prevents Infections - Asthmatic patients also tend to suffer from respiratory infections that make matters worse. The antiseptic and antibacterial properties of essential oils will keep the area affected due to Asthma hygienic and free from infections and bacterial growth.
- Heals pain - Due to the formation of extra mucus, asthmatic patients often suffer from congestion that might create pain in the chest and lungs. The analgesic properties of essential oils will reduce the pain and provide much-needed relief.
- Clears Air Passages - It is normal for asthmatic patients to experience mild to a severe cough. The expectorant properties of essential oils clear the air passages to provide relief from cough and can be used as essential oils asthma inhaler as well.
- Reduces Stress - Stress and anxiety trigger Asthma, and diffusing essential oils calms your mind and helps to avoid stress. Therefore, the essential oil will indirectly prevent asthma triggers.
Don't Miss: Make DIY Scented Candles at Home
Top 10 Essential Oils For Asthma Relief
We have seen that essential oil decreases swelling, pain, infections, and other causes that worsen asthma. However, few essential oils are more helpful for treating asthma than others due to their medicinal properties. Here are the Top 10 Essential Oils that can be used for reducing asthma symptoms.
Peppermint Essential Oil
You can use Peppermint Essential Oil for Asthma because it contains menthol that relaxes your airways. Moreover, its anti-inflammatory properties provide relief from Swelling and pain that are common symptoms of Asthma.The cleansing properties of this oil help to clean-up your lungs and also clear bronchial passages.
Peppermint oil good for the Asthma cold as it exhibits antispasmodic properties that reduce symptoms like wheezing, heavy breathing, and coughing. It acts as a natural decongestant and releases histamine when exposed to allergens like pollen, dust, mites, etc., that trigger asthma. As a result, you can use peppermint essential oil for asthma without any doubts.
Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender Essential oil is one of the best remedies for healing the inflammation caused due to swelling of air passages. To treat bronchial asthma due to its anti-inflammatory effects, you can use this essential oil. You can inhale this oil directly to soothe irritation or discomfort of airways.
Lavender essential oil good for asthma, especially used in aroma due to its antidepressant properties. Therefore, you can use it to deal with stress and anxiety that act as asthma triggers. Some researchers have also said that Lavender oil reduces the production of mucous and promotes smooth breathing. By doing so, it proves to be an ideal essential oil for asthma diffuser.
Ginger Essential Oil
Ginger Essential Oil has a warm scent that soothes cough and cold symptoms. As a result, it proves to be effective against asthma, as asthmatic patients often have cough and cold issues. It inhibits the contraction of airways and promotes smoother and faster breathing.
It has a relaxing effect on the inner walls of your air passages that might be swollen due to asthma. The antibacterial and antiseptic properties of Ginger oil are used to treat respiratory infections. It also prevents the respiratory tract from getting infected by eliminating the harmful bacteria that are the main reason behind infections. Therefore, it is one of the most used oils for treating asthma, cough, and bronchitis.
Don't Miss: Make DIY Charcoal Peel-Off Mask at Home
Eucalyptus Essential Oil
If you are looking for a powerful essential oil that can provide relief from symptoms of asthmatic bronchitis, then Eucalyptus Essential Oil would be a perfect choice. It's analgesic properties that comfort from the pain due to the swelling of the airways.
Moreover, anti-inflammatory properties of eucalyptus oil are powerful enough to provide relief from swelling itself. It also possesses antispasmodic properties that melt mucus and enables you to throw it out. As a result, it provides instant relief from congestion, cough, and cold as well. Also, Eucalyptus essential oil soothes wheezing that might stop you from breathing normally.
Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme essential oil also has a spicy warm scent that eases cold and cough symptoms. Its antiseptic properties help to maintain the hygiene and health of your lungs. By doing so, it keeps respiratory function strong that is necessary to fight against asthma.
If you are facing difficulty breathing, you can inhale this oil directly to get some quick relief. The antibacterial properties of this oil kill bacteria that can infect your respiratory tract. As a result, it prevents further worsening of asthma. Thyme oil possesses antibiotic properties that make your respiratory system stronger by making it capable of fighting against bacteria.
Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea Tree Essential oil exhibits expectorant properties that melt the mucus that blocks the airways when a person suffers from Asthma. By doing so, it not promotes free and clear breathing but also reduces the other symptoms like wheezing, coughing, irritation, etc.
Tea tree oil is effective against cold and cough that worsens the conditions of asthmatic patients. It is also used in aromatherapy to reduce stress and anxiety. Tea Tree oil reduces asthma triggers, provides long-term relief from congestion, and proves to be a useful essential oil for an asthma attack. Apart from that, it also provides relief from respiratory ailments like bronchitis.
Don't Miss: Tea Tree Oil for Acne Scars
Clove Essential Oil
Clove Essential Oil is one of the best oils for treating cold and cough due to its warm and soothing fragrance. It also possesses strong anti-inflammatory properties that combine with its ability to alleviate breathing issues to provide quick relief from Asthma.
Clove oil also exhibits antispasmodic properties that provide relief from muscle spasms. You can also blend Clove oil with a carrier oil and apply it to the chest to resolve issues like wheezing, chest pain, and breathing problems. It is often used as one of the key ingredients in essential oil blends for Asthma as it helps to relax and manage asthmatic symptoms.
Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense Essential Oil is one of the most popular essential oils that is used for massage, aromatherapy, and skincare purposes. It is also used as a key essential oil for asthma attack because it consists of strong anti-inflammatory effects that soothe the pain and irritation that is associated with Asthma.
Due to its expectorant properties, you can use Frankincense Oil to clear your airways to breathe freely. It can be used as a natural decongestant to remove the lungs' blockages and nasal passages that a person might experience due to an asthma attack. It also relaxes the mind and keeps stress and anxiety away that asthmatic trigger issues.
Oregano Essential Oil
Oregano Essential Oil is used to treat respiratory issues. It is powerful enough to tackle asthmatic issues as well due to its therapeutic properties. The antibacterial and anti fungal effects of this oil help you to stay away from respiratory infections. It keeps the respiratory tract clean and germ-free that ultimately helps you to breathe smoothly without any inconvenience.
The anti-inflammatory properties of Oregano oil help in healing swelling caused due to asthma. You can blend this oil with Clove or some other essential oils to improve its effectiveness against other asthmatic symptoms. Therefore, you can add this essential oil blend for asthma treatment.
Don't Miss: Make DIY Homemade Foundation Powder
Camphor Essential Oil
Camphor Essential Oil is powerful and perhaps the most effective against multiple types of breathing issues. Expectorant properties of this oil clear air passages and promotes healthy and free breathing.Its warm and camphoraceous scent can provide relief from cold and cough. It also acts as a perfect ingredient to treat chest congestion and relieves pain and irritation due to Swelling.
The anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties of this oil are strong enough to treat respiratory tract infections as well. You can use Camphor essential oil for asthma, cold, and cough as well.
How to Use Essential Oil for Asthma Relief?
These were some of the top essential oils that you can use for treating asthma. The list does not end here as many more oils are as effective and useful for asthmatic patients. However, you must also know how to use essential oil for asthma, cough, cold, and other treatments. Here are some ideas that you can follow to obtain the desired results:
- Use Essential Oil Diffuser - An oil diffuser that diffuses essential oil quickly across the room can be perfect for relaxing symptoms of Asthma. It works especially well with Chamomile, Lavender, and Clove essential oils.
- Massage - You can massage your chest and neck with a powerful essential oil to keep air passages clear and healthy. However, do not forget to blend it with an appropriate oil first, as essential oils are concentrated and can cause severe irritation if you apply it directly on the skin.
- Inhale via Steam - Inhaling the essential oils via steam can also provide instant relief if you have asthma and are facing breathing issues. For that, you need to pour some of the essential oil into a pot of hot steamy water and inhale it deeply. This idea works well with essential oils like Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Peppermint, Lavender, etc.
- Use Wet & Warm Towel - For tackling severe issues like asthma attacks, you can pour some drops of essential oil on a slightly wet and warm towel and then inhale directly from it. Keeping breathing from this DIY essential oil asthma inhaler till the asthma attack doesn’t get suppressed.
Best Essential Oil Recipe for Asthma
Essential Oils Blend Recipes for Asthma : Add 6 Drops of Lavender essential oil and 4 Drops of Geranium essential oil in one ounce of vegetable oil. After that, add 1 Drop of Marjoram and Peppermint essential oil each and blend them thoroughly to make a perfect essential oil blend for asthma.
You can use this combination as a rub for massaging on the chest and neck. For improved results, you can take a warm shower before using this rub and use it before going to sleep at night.
Essential Oil Steam : Boil 6 Cups of distilled water and add 1 Teaspoon of eucalyptus essential oil in it. Now, move your head close to the water and inhale the steam deeply. You can cover your head with a towel and add some fresh leaves of Eucalyptus to it before inhaling the steam for better results. You can also try this DIY Essential Oil Asthma Inhaler Recipe with Lavender Essential Oil.
Don't Miss: Make Eyelash Growth Serum
What Precautions Should You Take While Using Essential Oils?
Here are some precautions that you must take to avoid the risks involved while using essential oils for Asthma:
- Do not massage the essential oils directly on your skin as they are powerful and highly concentrated. Always dilute them with a carrier oil before applying externally.
- Some people have allergic Asthma and can be allergic to essential oils. Therefore, such people should contact a physician before using essential oil for asthma attacks and treatment.
- Some essential oils are so powerful that you cannot inhale them directly. Therefore, it is better to add them in a vaporizer or diffuser blend first.
- People suffering from skin issues and ailments should only use essential oil for asthma, colds, cough, and other symptoms via aromatherapy.
- Do a patch test on their elbow before using these oils.
- Keep them away from your eyes and sensitive parts. Also, do not consume them as they are formulated for external use only.
Essential oils seem to be effective for asthma treatment. Though they might not reduce the symptoms entirely, they will surely alleviate some symptoms and breathing issues when used properly. Do not overuse these oils as they are powerful and might harm your skin.
You can try new recipes to tackle asthmatic issues but follow the instructions completely and keep the concentration of oils and other diluents in mind so that you do not falter. If you use them wisely, essential oils will not only soothe Asthma but will also provide relief from other issues like respiratory tract infection, chest congestion, bronchitis, etc.