High Blood Pressure or Hypertension is becoming a common problem these days due to the poor diet and unhealthy lifestyle of people. There are several reasons for increasing blood pressure such as stress, drinking alcohol, etc. If ignored, it can lead to several serious problems like strokes or heart attacks. However, it cannot be cured completely without medications but it can be controlled naturally.
Essential oils are seen as an herbal method to treat high blood pressure. Though hypertension couldn’t be treated quickly still essential oils can lower down the risks of some major problems that can happen due to alleviating blood pressure. Choosing Essential oils for High Blood pressure may be the right decision for you as they have many health benefits which include relaxing your mind and body.
Why Choose Essential Oils for High Blood Pressure?
People use essential oil for high blood pressure due to its little to no side effects, or we can say that it is work life-friendly, and provides you an overall effect of relaxed mind and body. The essential oil can help you out for good concentration while meditating or working out.
There are many reasons to use essential oils for high blood pressure, some of them are mentioned below:
- Boosts Your Immunity: Essential oils are known to heal pain by working on the areas of the heart where congestion or blockage might happen. The analgesic properties of essential oils will reduce the pain and provide much-needed relief.
- Aromatherapy: Essential oils offer Mother Nature’s most potent form of natural aroma and relaxers, without the dizziness and side effects. Essential oils are a form of herbal medicine having holistic healing properties, and their therapeutic application is often referred to as aromatherapy, and aromatherapy with essential oils is good for high blood pressure.
- Relieves Stress And Anxiety: With a busy lifestyle we sacrifice many habits and one of them is good sleep. This messed-up sleep schedule brings stress, anxiety, dizziness, and loss of concentration which can lead to an increase in blood pressure, at that point essential oil can help you out. Strong aromatic and soothing fragrances of essential oil help you out in smooth and calm sleep which automatically reduces stress and anxiety.
- Essential Oil for High Blood Pressure in Pregnancy: During pregnancy many women find themselves facing some issues that manifest physically or mentally like nausea and vomiting, high blood pressure, etc. Essential oils can help you out in relieving stress and getting relaxed. The most commonly used essential oils during pregnancy are Lavender, Neroli, Ylang Ylang, Peppermint that alleviates depression anxiety, mood swings, and lowers the risk of high blood pressure.
Don't Miss: Essential Oils to Avoid with Low Blood Pressure
Top 10 Essential Oils for High Blood Pressure
The Essential oils for hypertension can be used in many ways and come in handy if you have a busy work schedule. Other than hypertension, essential oils also relieves cough, pain, allergies, and stimulates the immune system. Here are some of the best essential oils that are good for high blood pressure.
1. Lavender Essential Oil for High Blood Pressure
Lavender essential oil is known to be the best oil for relaxation and reduction of stress as anxiety and stress are some of the reasons for high blood pressure. Distilled from the plant Lavandula angustifolia lavender essential oil is believed to treat anxiety, fungal infections, allergies, depression, insomnia, and eczema.
Lavender essential oil is said to have antidepressant, antiseptic, analgesic, hypertensive, and sedative effects. For better use, you can apply few drops of Lavender essential oil to your handkerchief, and inhaling it will help you out in treating insomnia, stress, and fatigue.
2. Cedarwood Essential oil for High Blood Pressure
Cedarwood essential oil has calming and grounding qualities that relax both mind and body. It has an earthly smell of cedarwood which makes you feel like you are sitting in the forest. Its calming strong earthy smell will magically uplift your mood and relaxes your body. It also temporarily decreases the heart rate which could be termed as a beneficial point for people suffering from high blood pressure.
Cedarwood oil can be mixed with carrier oils and used for scalp and body massages. You can also put a few drops of cedarwood essential oil in your essential oil diffuser or under your pillow to make your room full of the fragrance of cedarwood.
Read Out: Multani Mitti Face Pack for Acne Scars
3. Clary Sage Essential Oil for High Blood Pressure
Clary sage essential oil is used for aromatherapy which relaxes your mind and reduces the feeling of anxiety. It relieves stress by inducing a sense of well-being. Clary sage oil has healing properties that make you feel more relaxed and reducing the risks of high blood pressure.
Diluted clary sage essential oil is also found effective in healing wounds and several bacterial strains. Clary sage is effective in treating depression because of its anti stressor elements.
4. Bergamot Essential Oil for High Blood Pressure
Bergamot essential oil comes from the rinds of citrus fruit that grows in bergamot orange trees. Bergamot has a distinctive, citrusy smell that would work well for you if you are a fan of the orange citrusy smell. Bergamot essential oil has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
It soothes the skin and treats acne, pimples, and cysts. Bergamot essential oil lowers the cholesterol level which is a reason for high blood pressure and increases positive mood.
Read Out: Top 5 Benefits of Shea Butter for Skin
5. Citronella Essential Oil for High Blood Pressure
Citronella essential oil is made from the distillation of Asian grass plants. Citronella essential oil has anti-stress effects in some people it shows a relaxing effect and in some, it has a stimulating effect. If you are a fan of fresh grass and want to add the experience of sitting in the fresh grass field then you can add this to your self-care routine and enjoy it by either diffusing or dissolving it in the bathtub.
Inhaling Citronella essential oil can lower down the risk of high blood pressure as vapors of citronella help in reducing stress, heart rate, and respiratory rate
6. Frankincense Essential Oil for High Blood Pressure
Frankincense essential oil comes from the resin of the Boswellia tree. There is much historical evidence of frankincense used in ancient Egypt and other countries for its health benefits and fragrance. It has a very versatile and mesmerizing smell of woods.
Frankincense essential oil has a mild sweet smell of trees which works best in alleviating stress and anxiety resulting in the normalization of alleviating blood pressure.
Read Out: How to Make Homemade Sunscreen Bars
7. Jasmine Grandiflorum Essential Oil for High Blood Pressure
Jasmine essential oil comes from the white flowers of the plant Jasminum officinale. Jasmine oil is commonly used in holistic and religious practices and also used in many sweets and perfumes. It has a sweet, soothing smell of jasmine flower which works best to feel relaxed in our messed-up sleeping schedule and workload.
Jasmine is known to be a good anti-depressant essential oil as it increases blood saturation which automatically put an effect on your mind and heart which controls breathing rate and blood pressure level. Jasmine essential oil is found particularly effective when used in aromatherapy and massage.
8. Lemon Essential Oil for High Blood Pressure
The Lemon essential oil comes from natural lemons. It has a citrusy smell of fresh lemons. Lemons work as an effective element in improving concentration and relaxing your mind. Lemon works well for weight loss and improving metabolism by eliminating excess cholesterol and triglycerides.
Lemon essential oil is used in many recommended blood pressure controlling juices and food to add a distinct smell and providing you some health benefits as it has antiseptic, antifungal properties.
Read Out: Natural Soap with Essential Oils
9. Rose Essential Oil for High Blood Pressure
Rose essential oil comes from the petals of the rose flower. It’s been part of many stories and poems for its mesmerizing fragrance and used in royalty homes for so long because of its health benefits and fragrance. Rose oil helps the brain to stimulate and release endorphins also known as feel-good hormone which relaxes the mind.
Rose essential oil affects anxiety level, high blood pressure level, heart rates, breathing rates, and significant improvement in health can be seen.
10. Valerian essential oil for High Blood Pressure
Valerian essential oil comes from the plant named Valeriana officinalis. Valerian essential oil comes from the roots of the valerian flower which is a herb and has many medicinal qualities. Valerian acts as a sedative on the brain and nervous system. High cholesterol, stress, and unmanaged sleep schedules are the root cause of high blood pressure and valerian works best for good sleep or insomnia.
Valerian essential oil reduces sleep time and improves sleep quality. It is used to lower blood pressure, controls heartbeat fluctuations, calms down hyperactivity, and also reduce nervous tensions.
Read Out: DIY Liquid Hand Soap at Home
How to Use Essential Oils for High Blood Pressure?
These essential oils are not to be applied directly to your skin to lower high blood pressure. Since they are powerful and concentrated, you have to dilute them first before massaging them on your skin. There are many ways to use them which are as follows:
- Diffuser: Use an essential oil diffuser that will release the scent of essential oil directly to the room and works as aromatherapy for patients with high blood pressure. It works excellent with fragrances like lavender, frankincense, rose, etc.
- Massage: After mixing essential oils with appropriate carrier oil you can use it to massage your body to feel more relaxed and stress-free. For massage purposes, you have to mix essential oils with carrier oils.
- Warm Bath: You can have a soothing and calming warm bath by sprinkling few drops of particular essential oil in water relieving your stress. It will provide you a good self-care time with a night of calming night sleep.
Best Essential Oil Blend Recipe for High Blood Pressure
There are many essential oils other than the above-mentioned oils which can be used to relieve high blood pressure such as ylang ylang essential oil, neroli essential oil, sweet marjoram essential oil, lemongrass essential oil, etc.
Mentioned below are some of the best recipes to use essential oil for high blood pressure which you can include in your routine:
Homemade Cream or Lotion Blend Recipe for High Blood Pressure
You can make creams at home with essential oil to avoid high blood pressure, there are many variations through which you can blend your cream or lotion, or you can follow the below-mentioned recipe:
- Take 4-5 drops of clary sage essential oil, lavender essential oil, or frankincense essential oil.
- Put essential oil in 2 oz. of coconut oil.
- Then mix all the ingredients nicely.
- Now rub a small amount of the mixture on your temples and under your nose.
Don't Miss: Avocado Oil for Skin
Diffuser Blend for High Blood Pressure
You can make different essential oil diffuser recipes to control high blood pressure. Mentioned below is one of them:
- Put a small amount of water in the diffuser base
- Take 2-3 drops of bergamot essential oil, lavender essential oil, ylang-ylang essential oil.
- Inhale the scent for 30-40 minutes.
Massaging Essential Oil to Lower the Blood Pressure
You can have a massage with these oils which will make you feel relaxed and stress-free, you can use the following recipe for that or you can make your own with proper instructions:
- Take 10 drops of lavender essential oil, 7 drops of ylang-ylang essential oil, 5 drops of sweet marjoram essential oil, and 1 drop of neroli essential oil.
- Add one third of the mixture with 2 oz of almond oil or coconut oil
- Massage that mixture in any part of your body.
- You can also add this mixture to your warm bath.
Precautions to Be Taken While Using Essential Oils for High Blood Pressure
Essential oils are natural oils, but some people can be allergic to them even when you dilute those oils with a carrier oil. That’s why it is advisable to conduct a patch test on your elbow before using them directly on your skin. If you feel any irritation or uneasiness after applying the oil, you should wash that part of your body where you have applied essential oil immediately with soap and cold water.
- Do take the advice of your doctor if you are going for any specific essential therapy or treatment.
- Put essential oils away from direct contact with your eyes or it will greatly damage your eyes.
- Do not mix essential oils with the wrong ingredients or any ingredient which were proved to be harmful to your health.
- Use essential oils in the appropriate amount.
- Some essential oils are phototoxic so don’t go outside in the sun after applying those essential oils. Please get yourself fully educated about that specific oil before using it in any specific material.
Essential oils are some of the best ways to control your high blood pressure with a healthy lifestyle routine. After working all day long it is very important to give yourself some relaxation and essential oil helps you to calm down and have a great sleep. Though essential oils cannot treat high blood pressure completely but can work to improve the level of blood pressure. If you are looking for pure and natural essential oils for high blood pressure then VedaOils is the best spot for you to shop online.