Every season brings its problems and allergies. These allergies can be hay fever, food allergies, rhinitis allergic asthma, runny nose, rashes, etc. Insects or some specific food can cause seasonal allergies. These allergies can cause irritation, pain, redness, swelling, cough, headaches.
Essential Oil contains a natural antihistamine, anti-inflammatory, antifungal, and antispasmodic properties. These essential oils can help in reducing rashes, skin itching, inflammation, swelling, puffiness occur due to allergies reactions.
Essential oils aromatherapy can help you clean up your air passages and lead to a relaxing sensation on your mind and body. These allergies can cause insomnia and restlessness, and essential oils can be helpful in this situation also.
Need of Essential Oil For Seasonal Allergies?
Now, you might go through a question of why to choose essential oils for allergic skin reactions what else it would help you in rather than just providing a good fragrance. So, there are so many reasons to choose an essential oils for skin allergic reaction, some of them are as follows:
- Immunity Booster - Some essential oils help you out in giving a boost to your immune system when you and your immune system become vulnerable due to these seasonal allergies.
- Hypersensitivity - This condition occurs when a normal balanced immune system becomes abnormally unbalanced enough that it starts to harm you in some way. Some essential oils contain specific properties that help you in getting rid of hypersensitivity.
- Antihistamine - Some Essential oils have antihistamine properties that target your stuffiness and helps clear airways providing you relief from nasal congestion, sneezing, hives, and other allergies caused by pollens or other dirt insects.
Top 10 Essential Oils For Skin Allergy
Check the list of some of the best essential oils for allergic rash, itching, cough,rhinitis, swelling, asthma, swelling and how you can use them to treat different types of allergic problems:
Tea tree oil is extracted from Melaleuca alternifolia tree. It helps in destroying airborne pathogens that have the potential to cause allergies. It contains anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. These properties effectively work in treating inflamed nostrils, sinuses, and swelling. Its antibacterial properties help in stopping viruses and bacteria allergies in your body.
Tea tree essential oil should not be used around pets because it’s been observed to be harmful to pets and for internal consumption. It also helps in curing a cold and flu. For better use, take 2-3 Drops of tea tree oil and mix it with 1 Teaspoon of coconut oil, Now apply this blend on any rash or hives.
Chamomile essential oil has a sweet floral scent. It works well for allergies as it has natural antihistamine and anti-inflammatory properties. It helps in getting relieving swelling and itching caused by eczema when diluted with a carrier oil.
It can also help you eliminate some allergies caused by inflammation, such as mucous membranes and sinusitis. You should use Chamomile essential oil for allergies as it is filled with antibiotic and antiseptic properties that help your body to fight harmful bacteria and also in getting rid of sore throat, dermatitis, and hoarseness problem.
Peppermint essential oil comes from a minty herb, a cross between spearmint and water mint. Peppermint essential oil will give a cooling effect on your body as it is a mint herb. This cooling property of peppermint will help you relieve pain and irritation of any swelling, ashes and allergic reaction.
Inhaling peppermint essential oil will cure sinuses and sore throat. It also gives relief in cough, cold, bronchitis, and asthma. For better use, add five drops of peppermint essential oil to an essential oil diffuser.
Don't Miss: Peppermint Oil: Benefits and Applications
Thyme essential oil is a traditional herb from a mint family. Being a traditional herb makes it antiseptic and anti-inflammatory. Thyme helps in detoxifying blood by getting rid of harmful toxins from the blood and improving blood circulation, which also helps avoid further damage caused by allergies.
Its antispasmodic property helps in healing congestion caused by an allergy. If you are regularly suffering from seasonal allergies, then thyme essential oil will give a little boost to your immune system providing relief from the discomfort you are facing.
Basil essential oil is extracted from the Ocimum basilicum plant. It helps in curing bronchitis, cold, cough, insect bites, sinusitis, and many more. It reduces the inflammatory reaction which can be caused by allergens. It helps to detoxify the blood by eliminating bacteria and viruses.
Basil essential oil also helps your body to fight inflammation, fatigue, and pain. For better use and eliminating congestion, dilute 2-3 drops of basil essential oil with one teaspoon of either coconut or almond oil and apply on your temples or neck.
Lemon essential oil is extracted from lemon peel. It has an original citrusy smell of freshly cut lemons. You can use Lemon essential oil for sinus allergies and reducing congestion. It also effectively supports the lymphatic system and helps to overcome the problems like allergic asthma and seasonal allergies.
It helps your body to get rid of excess mucus and cools down the pain in the inflammation. For better use, diffuse lemon essential oil in an essential oil diffuser, which will kill bacteria and destroy allergy-triggering elements in the air around you.
Don't Miss: Natural Moisturiser: Shea Butter
Lavender essential oil is extracted from the Lavandula angustifolia plant and has the sweet, floral scent of fresh lavender. It is effective in inflammation and encourages sound sleep. It helps to fight against mucous cells' enlargement, inflammatory allergies and calm the nervous system.
If you are suffering from common symptoms of skin allergies like itching, puffiness, the pain, it becomes very important you have a sound sleep, and lavender essential oil helps you get this sound sleep. For better use, you can use it for inhalation by rubbing 1 to 2 drops of lavender essential oil on your palms of your hands.
Eucalyptus essential oil is extracted from the eucalyptus tree leaves and has a citrus, minty, woody scent. It helps open up your lungs and improves blood circulation, and reduces the symptoms of an allergic reaction. It produces a cooling sensation on your body and helps in giving relief in congestion and asthma attacks.
Eucalyptus essential oil good for allergies, as it clears the congestion and sinuses, break up phlegm and mucus in people with allergies. You can use a blend of peppermint, eucalyptus globules, Syrian oregano, and rosemary essential oil to reduce inflammation.
Sandalwood essential oil is extracted from the santalum album's roots and wood and has a sweet, woody, floral, and strong smell. It shows a potential decrease in releasing histamine in your body, increasing the body's potential to fight allergens.
Sandalwood essential oil contains natural antihistamines making it one of the best essential oil for allergies. It is also well known for its mesmerizing and calming fragrance, which helps in getting sound sleep.
Don't Miss: Make Lotion with Essential Oils
Frankincense essential oil is extracted from the Boswellia sacra tree and has a woody and sweet scent. It is known for its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, which help to ease bronchitis and sinusitis. It also contains anti-inflammatory and alpha-pinene properties, which will help your body to fight against sinuses.
Frankincense essential oil shows a healing effect on bronchitis, decreasing congestion, inflammation, and sinus infection. For better use, add ten drops of frankincense essential oil, five drops of sandalwood essential oil in ½ cup of warm water now, use a cotton swab or cloth and gently apply this blend on your rashes and allergy-prone skin.
How To Use Essential Oils for Allergies?
Some specific and most preferred ways for using essential oils are mentioned below with proper instructions:
- Massage - You can make a blend out of these essential oils and can use this blend to massage your body and will feel a relaxing sensation in your body after the massage.
- Aromatherapy - Essential oils are known for their calming fragrances. You can use above mentioned essential oils for aromatherapy to cure allergies and relax your body from consistent irritation, pain, and headaches caused by other allergic reactions. Aromatherapy with essential oil is also helpful for itchy eyes. It is also known for its effectiveness in providing calming sleep.
- Inhalation - You can apply this essential oil on your palms, around your nose, or temples for better effects throughout the day.
- DIY - You can make vapor, ointment, blends, or spray bottle solution at home to avoid and heal allergic reactions. These DIYs help you out in preferring more homemade products rather than using chemical-filled products.
Don't Miss: Make DIY Green Tea Toner
Best Essential Oil Blend Recipes for Allergies
There are some more essential oils other than the above-mentioned oils which are good in treating allergic problems black spruce essential oil, laurel leaf essential oil, and cedarwood essential oil.
Mentioned below are few essential blend recipes to treat seasonal allergy reaction. Use can use add these recipes in your DIY acne products plans:
Pollen Allergy-Free Solution
- Take a bowl
- Add 4 drops of Lemon essential oil, 2 drops of Lavender essential oil, 2 drops of Frankincense essential oil, and 2 drops of Peppermint essential oil.
- Mix everything in a bowl.
- Use this solution for your pollen allergy and external uses only.
Breath Healing Solution
- Take 2 drops of Cedarwood essential oil, 2 drops of Lavender essential oil, 2 drops of Tea Tree oil, and 2 drops of Roman Chamomile Oil.
- Mix everything in a bowl or glass bottle.
- This mixture can be used for congestion or seasonal illness. Use it for external uses only.
Get Rid of Sneezing Solution
- Take a bowl
- In that bowl add 3 drops of Lemon essential oil, 3 drops of Roman Chamomile oil, and 2 drops of Lavender essential oil.
- Mix everything.
- This solution will help you out in getting rid of constant sneezes. Use it for external uses only.
Precautions While Using Essential Oils for Allergies Relief
- Do not use essential oils directly on your skin as they are highly concentrated. Mix them with appropriate carrier oils such as jojoba oil, coconut oil, almond oil, etc.
- Do a patch test before using an essential oil on your allergy.
- If you are going through any serious allergic condition, then consult your doctor before using any essential oil.
- If you feel pain, redness, or itching after applying any essential oil, then make sure to immediately wash that part of your body with cold water and soap.
- Make sure to use a limited amount of essential oil in your day-to-day life example 1-2 drops a day.
- Some essential oils are not considered safe on pets or used near pets. These essential oils can become toxic for your pet animals.
Allergies can be caused due to several reasons, and seasonal allergies are quite common in hypersensitive or allergic people. Seasonal allergies can be treated with products available in the pharmacy. Still, they sometimes show side effects that can make your allergies worst, so to avoid this situation.
To treat these allergic reaction, various essential oil can be helpful, as they offer relief from inflammation, congestion, skin irritation, rashes. You can make your homemade essential oil sprays, blends, or vapor rub to deal with allergic reactions.