Kidney Stones which are also known as Nephrolithiasis, are solid masses of crystals that are made up of minerals and acid salts in the kidney. They are often formed when urine is concentrated and these crystals get stuck together. Kidney stones are extremely painful when it is passing through the urinary tract. The most common symptoms of Kidney stones are pain on both the sides of the abdomen and back, nausea, vomiting, and pain while passing urine.
Essential oils can be a great option for getting relief from kidney stone pain in addition to any other ongoing treatment plan. Essential oils are extracted from the various parts of plants like herbs, stems, seeds, leaves, flowers, and buds. Using Essential oils for Kidney Stones can help to ease the symptoms like inflammation, nerve pain, muscular pain, swelling, and muscle contraction, which are caused due to kidney infection or stones.
Causes of Kidney stones
There is no definite or single cause of kidney stones but there are some other factors that lead to the formation of kidney stones. Some of the reasons behind the formation of kidney stones are:
- High consumption of protein, sodium, and sugar.
- Gastric bypass surgery or another intestinal surgery.
- Dehydration and Less consumption of fluids
- Consumption of diuretics (water pills) or calcium-based antacids.
- High levels of uric acid, cystine, oxalate, or calcium
Why Choose Essential Oils for Kidney Stones?
Essential Oil is one of the most natural ways of relieving pain from kidney stones as it eases the pain and contraction in the abdomen area because of its Anti-inflammatory properties. Essential Oil also acts as a mild sedative which reduces the pain. The essential oil can also be used to relieve nervous exhaustion and mental fatigue which is caused due to kidney stone here are some other reasons why you should use essential oils for Kidney Stone:
- Detoxify Properties: Essential oils offers natural anti-oxidants and anti-septic properties, used to detoxify the kidney infection.
- Relive Pain: You can use essential oils for kidney stone pain, by Massaging Essential Oil blend or by making a diffuser blend. You can use it for aromatherapy to get relief from pain caused by kidney stones.
- Spasm Reliever: Some Essential oils have cooling effect which can help in soothing muscle spasms, inflammation and pain. They also have anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties.
- Effective Option with your Treatment: Choosing Essential oils to avoid kidney problems can be a great option that you can use with your ongoing medications or treatment plan for Kidney Stones or other kidney disease as it doesn’t react easily.
Don't Miss: All About Lavender Oil
Best Essential Oils for Kidney Stones
Using Essential oil is the most natural way of getting relief from kidney stones. Here are the Essential oils that you can use according to their properties and effects.
Lavender Essential Oil To Avoid Kidney Problems
The Lavender Essential Oil is extracted from flowers; they contain analgesic, anti-inflammatory properties, antidepressant, and antiseptic properties, as well as antispasmodic, detoxifying, and sedative effects that Ease Kidney Pain and keep the mind and body sane.
When the diluted lavender essential oil is applied externally it relieves the pain and eases the muscular contractions. It also calms the mind and body that can help to cope with the symptoms of Kidney stones. Lavender Oil is also an effective treatment for coping with nausea and vomiting which can be a symptom of Kidney Stone.
Lemon Essential Oil for Kidney Stones
Lemon Essential Oil is extracted from the peel of the Citrus limon plant. Lemon oil has many benefits as it has potent anti-inflammatory, absorbent, antibacterial, antifungal, and astringent properties. It also helps in coping up with anxiety and depression, reducing inflammation and muscle pains.
Lemon Essential Oil helps to prevent or Reduce Symptoms of kidney stones which include vomiting and nausea, muscle spasms, flatulence & other gastric problems. It also improves the overall functioning of the kidney and flushes out the toxins from the body. The lemon essential oil also improves the circulation of blood to the kidneys and kidney areas, which helps in easing the pain of kidney stone pain.
Orange Essential Oil for Kidney Stones
Orange Essential Oil is extracted from the rind, leaves, and flowers of the sweet orange fruit. It has high anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, and antioxidant properties. It is also useful in easing stress, anxiety, and depression. It increases blood circulation, reduces pain, and uplifts the mood.
The orange essential oil contains high anti-inflammatory properties, which help in reducing the pain caused by inflammation. It helps to calm the muscle spasms that occur in the urinary tract while kidney stones are moving through it. The orange essential oil works as a Mild Diuretic which helps to dissolve and flush the kidney stones from urinary tract more effectively.
Don't Miss: The Ultimate Guide to Natural Butters
Rose Essential Oil for Kidney Detoxification
Rose Essential Oil is derived from the petals, stems, leaves, and buds of the rose plant. It is a widely used essential oil in the medical world. It has antifungal, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-depressant properties which help in significantly decreasing the pain levels, relief from muscular contraction, and decreasing stress and anxiety.
Rose Essential Oil has potent anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties which helps in easing the pain caused due to inflammation. It has a scented fragrance, which calms the mind and body. Aromatherapy using Rose essential oil is quite effective in alleviating the pain caused by kidney stones.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil for Kidney Infection
Eucalyptus Essential Oil is extracted from the oval-shaped leaves of the eucalyptus tree. It is known for its healing benefits. It is used in many over-the-counter ointments and creams which are used to soothe the pain and sedate the painful area as it has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties in it.
Eucalyptus essential oil contains a powerful compound called Eucalyptol which works as a potent vasodilator, by increasing the size of blood vessels. This will allow for More Blood Flow and circulate in the body and will eventually reduce the kidney stone pain. It also relieves the aches and pains of kidney stones while passing the urine.
Don't Miss: Best Essential Oils For Acne Scars and Pimples
Clary Sage Essential Oil for Kidney Stones
The Clary Sage Essential Oil is extracted from the leaves and buds of the Clary sage flowering herb. It has Antibacterial, antidepressant, and anti-inflammatory properties which give relief from muscular cramps, mood swings, muscular swelling, etc.
It Is great option to use clary sage essential oil for kidney stone pain and swelling because of its potent anti-inflammatory properties. It also contains linalyl acetate, which promotes feelings of balance and energy while Uplifting The Mood. It also calms and relaxes the mind, which can help to improve the pain from kidney stones.
Helichrysum Essential Oil for Kidney Disease
Helichrysum Essential Oil is extracted from the Helichrysum Italicum plant. It has high anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antifungal properties which help in reducing kidney stones by reducing inflammation and detoxifying the immune system. It is only applied topically as massage oil or a pain-relieving salve.
Helichrysum essential oil can decrease the risk of kidney stones by Detoxifying the waste products more efficiently from the Kidney and Liver. It also has diuretic qualities which help the water to move in the body and help pass the stones easily through urine.
Chamomile Essential Oil for Kidney Health
Chamomile Essential Oil is derived from the flowers of the chamomile plant. It is used for getting relief from nausea and vomiting, indigestion, gastric problems, problematic bowel movements, anxiety, stress, and pain due to inflammation.
Chamomile Essential Oil has sedative properties, that aid better sleep and relaxation in the body which can help in giving relief from kidney stones pain. A gentles massage on the abdomen and back area can help in easing the pain as it has anti-inflammatory properties. It also has Diuretic Qualities that help water to move in the body so that the kidney stone passes easily.
Basil Essential Oil for Kidney Stone Pain
Basil Essential Oil is extracted from the leaves of the Ocimum basilicum plant. It is commonly used in aromatherapy and deep-tissue massages as it lowers down the inflammation and eases muscle aches, spasms, and contractions.
Basil Essential Oil helps in alleviating certain kidney problems, muscular pain. It also works as a decongestant, muscle relaxant, and pain reliever. Basil oil Relieves Mental Fatigue and also stimulates the adrenal gland.
Rosemary Essential Oil for Kidney Stones
Rosemary Essential Oil is derived from the needle-like leaf of the Rosemary shrub. It is one of the most popular plants that is used for its medicinal and Aroma benefits. It possesses anti-bacterial, antibiotic, diuretic, and anti-inflammatory properties which are beneficial for kidney health and other health disorders.
Rosemary Essential oil has analgesic properties that help in easing pain and aches which are caused by kidney stones. It acts as a natural energizer which relieves mental fatigue and nervous exhaustion. Rosemary essential oil also Removes The Excess Uric Acid which forms kidney stones.
Don't Miss: Top 10 Essential Oils for Stretch Marks
How to use Essential Oils for Kidney Stones
- Essential Oil Diffuser Blend: Many naturally fragranced essential oils can be used for aromatherapy to get relief from mental fatigue and anxiety which is caused by kidney stones.
- Massage Oil Blend for Kidney Stones: Blends of essential oils and carrier oils can be used to massage the abdomen and back area to get relief from kidney stones.
- Relaxing Bath: A few drops of essential oils can be used in bathing water for relaxing the body. It will also ease the pain and reduce muscular contraction.
Best Essential Oil Recipes for Kidney Stones
The above mentioned oils are some of the best essential oils for kidney health but apart from the these essential oils, there are many other essential oils like Wintergreen Oil, Geranium Oil, Frankincense Oil, and Peppermint Oil which can be used to get relief from Kidney Stones.
Here are some of the essential oil recipes which can be used to ease the pain caused due to kidney stones:
Pain-relieving Massage Oil:
You can make an Essential oil massage blend with Helichrysum essential oil for kidney stones treatment:
- Take 5 drops of Helichrysum essential oil, 6-7 drops of Orange essential oil, and 8 drops of basil essential oil in a container.
- Add 1 tablespoon of Coconut Oil to it
- Mix the oils thoroughly.
- Apply this combination of oil on the abdomen area and your lower back and massage it till it absorbs deep into your skin.
Diffuser Blend for Anxiety:
Make an essential oil diffuser blend with some of best essential oils for kidney stones causing anxiety:
- Take water in the diffuser.
- Mix 2 drops of lavender oil, 3 drops of clary sage oil, and 2 drops of chamomile oil in it.
- Mix the blend completely and inhale the scent for a calming experience.
Precautions to be Taken While Using Essential Oils for Kidney Stones
- Perform a patch test of the essential oil blend on the forearm before applying it to the painful area.
- Mix a sufficient amount of carrier oils like coconut oil, Almond Oil, or Jojoba Oil in the essential oil.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women are recommended to consult the doctors before applying any of the essential oils.
- If you have any prior health issues, you must consult your doctor before applying any essential oil.
- If your skin feels irritated after applying any of the essential oil, immediately rinse it off using a mild soap or cleanser.
- Use the essential oils cautiously if your migraine or sinus gets triggered easily.
- Essential oils are recommended only if your health condition is not very serious and you are not having severe pain.
Essential Oils can be one of the most natural ways to get rid of kidney stones and ease the kidney stones pain but you must consult your doctor or any other medical practitioner before applying any essential oil. You must apply the essential oils in very limited quantity and only after mixing them with carrier oils.
Check out VedaOils best essential oils for kidney stones treatment and other infectious diseases. Using it regularly and in the right way can help your skin in so many ways and show you incredible results.