Cleaning kitchen cabinets, glass windows, fridge, microwave, and other surfaces with kitchen and home cleansing solutions is a common thing, White vinegar for cleaning is good option you might want to choose. However, have you wondered how many chemicals are present in these cleansers? Also, you must think about whether it is safe to use chemicals to clean items and accessories where you store food.
While searching for chemical-free options for cleaning your home and kitchen surfaces, you don't have to go outside. You can peep in your kitchen supplies and use items like lemon, baking soda, or White Vinegar for cleaning purposes. Today, we are going to see multiple surfaces that can be cleaned with White Vinegar!
Why White Vinegar for Cleaning?
White Vinegar for cleaning is an eco-friendly option as compared to the home cleaning solutions you get in the market. It contains acetic acid that gives it powerful cleansing properties. Also, the disinfectant properties of Vinegar makes it effective against bacteria, fungi, and other microbes that inhibit on various surfaces in your home.
However, the regular dark-coloured vinegar you use at home can stain some surfaces. Therefore, White Vinegar which is a clear liquid proves to be a better option for cleaning surfaces. The acidity level of White Vinegar is 5% which is almost the same as found in the home cleansers we buy from shops. It means that the level of cleanliness would be the same with this non-toxic surface cleaner!
White Vinegar for Cleaning Uses
White Vinegar for cleaning as well as used extensively for cooking but people hardly know how effective it is as a surface cleaner. It not only brightens kitchen appliances and gives a gleaming glow to your glass window panes but can also clean fabric stains with ease. You may also clean bathroom tiles, taps, and faucets with this magical solution. Let’s see some of the top uses of White Vinegar as a cleaner:
Cleaning Kitchen Sinks: You use detergents to wash dishes and other utensils but the deposits accumulated in the sink make it appear dull. To cleanse the kitchen sink, you just need to pour some White Vinegar on a sponge and wipe it onto the surface of the sink. If you don't have a sponge even a cloth would do but ensure that it is clean.
Cleaning small appliances: Appliances like coffee makers, grinders, microwaves, etc. tend to stain with time. If you use liquid detergent to clean these surfaces they tend to appear dull after a certain period. Instead, you can use White Vinegar to clean them. It will give a sparkling finish to these appliances and you won't also save money that you spend on buying the liquid detergent.
Cleaning glass: Cleaning glass window panes, glass bowls, and other glass items are often tricky as the stains on them could be rigid. Use White Vinegar to clean glass surfaces as its powerful cleansing properties ensure that all the stains get cleaned up. Also, it gives glass surfaces a sparkling finish. Moreover, it would disinfect these surfaces and prevent the growth of bacteria and other microorganisms on them.
Removing stains from fabrics: If cuffs, collars, or other areas of your shirts or blouses get stained, you can use White Vinegar for cleaning to get rid of them. It removes the dirt from the fabrics and also proves to be effective for cleaning coloured fabrics. Just pour some White Vinegar on a damp cloth and wipe the stains before washing them in a washing machine.
Clean-up shower heads and taps: Taps, faucets, and showerheads can be cleaned-up with White Vinegar. It would be even better if you warm it up a little bit before cleaning these bathroom accessories. It is because White Vinegar eliminates limescale better when it is warm. You can pour some White Vinegar into a spray bottle and use it liberally to give a sparkling glow to these accessories.
Disinfecting Toilet: White Vinegar for cleaning is useful for disinfecting and cleaning toilets as well. You should pour some White Vinegar into toilet bowl and leave it on the surface overnight. In the morning, you can sprinkle some borax powder on the surface and flush the toilet. If you don't have borax powder, use baking soda. This will make your toilet clean and germ-free!
Cleaning Bathroom Tiles: The stains and dirt on the bathroom tiles are often quite stubborn. To remove these stubborn stains, sprinkle White Vinegar directly and wipe it with a cloth. It also proves to be effective in controlling the stains and foul smells emanating due to urine. Storing a diluted solution of White Vinegar in a spray bottle proves to be ideal in such situations.
Cleanse floors: Mix 1 cup of White Vinegar in a gallon of water and use it to mop floors in your living room, kitchen, and bathroom. The cleansing and antimicrobial properties of White Vinegar will cleanse the floor and eliminate the bacteria infesting them. Moreover, it will also remove the odour that may be created due to not cleaning these floor tiles for a long time.
Kitchen Counters: White Vinegar proves to be an excellent solution for cleaning Kitchen Counters. Just spray some White Vinegar on them and rub them with a sponge or a clean cloth. If there are rigid stains on them, use a scrubber and scrub off the stains easily. The dust, insects, and other toxins present on these surfaces will also get eliminated from this process.
Disinfecting Mattress: The stains and bad odour of the mattress can be removed by spraying a solution of White Vinegar with Tea Tree oil on it. It will also remove the stale odour from it. After cleaning the mattress with White Vinegar, you can dust some baking soda on it for cleaning it more powerfully. After the mattress dries, you can use a vacuum cleaner to complete the cleaning process.
Wooden Furniture: For cleaning wooden furniture with White Vinegar, you should mix ½ a cup of White Vinegar with 2 cups of Olive Oil. Take a sponge, pour some of the solutions on it and wipe off the wooden surfaces. If you want to give them an amazing smell, just add a couple of orange or lemon oil in it. Adding a few drops of lemon juice will also work.
- Cleaning Carpet: Blend White Vinegar with any essential oil and store it in a spray bottle. Spray some solution on the carpet. After that, clean the carpet with a mixture of White Vinegar with water (½ cup of White Vinegar every gallon of water). Following this process will keep the carpets cleaner for a longer time. It would also remove stains and dirt from them.
What should you not clean with White Vinegar?
While numerous things can be cleaned by using White Vinegar, avoid cleaning some things with it. These things include the surfaces that can react with use of White Vinegar for cleaning can affect their quality or colour. It may also cause some surfaces to corrode. Here are the top things that shouldn't be cleaned with White Vinegar or any solution that contains it:
- Mirrors: Though White Vinegar is effective in cleaning glass surfaces, avoid cleaning your mirrors with it. The shine of the mirror is due to the silver coat present on its backside. While cleaning mirrors with White Vinegar, some of them can react with this coating and corrode it. Since the coating is thin, it will come off easily and your mirror will lose its shine.
- Steam Irons: Steam Irons consist of parts made from iron, plastic, rubber, etc. Using White Vinegar to clean these parts is not a good idea as it degrades their quality slowly, Also, a protective coating inside a steam iron can be permanently damaged due to White Vinegar. It also proves to be harmful to the metallic paint that may be used on the exterior surface.
- Dishwasher: Dishwasher comprises components made from rubber and stainless steel. Cleaning these parts with White Vinegar can erode their surfaces. Also, eroding and damaging the rubber seals might create a leakage issue. The residue of the White Vinegar will react with the metal dishes that you may clean with the dishwasher in the future.
- Washing Machine: The washing machine has parts made from plastic, rubber, and stainless steel. These parts will corrode when you replace the washing machine cleaning solution with White Vinegar. Even cleaning the washing machine's exterior and interior parts with White Vinegar is not a good idea due to the same reason. It may be good for cleaning fabrics but you won't want to damage your washing machine for that!
- Mobile screens: The display of your mobile, laptop and other electronic devices contains a protecting layer. Cleaning it with White Vinegar might reduce the efficiency of this protective layer and it may deteriorate it in the long run. Therefore, instead of White Vinegar, we recommend using isopropyl alcohol for cleaning the screens of your smart electronic gadgets.
- Stone or Wooden Floors: Stone and wooden floors contain a finishing material that can react with White Vinegar. The reaction is powerful enough to correct them even if you are using diluted White Vinegar. Frequent use of White Vinegar to clean these surfaces will corrode them and your flood will lose its shine. Therefore, you must avoid cleaning your wooden and stone floors with White Vinegar.
- Knives: Knives and razors must not be cleaned with White Vinegar at all. The sharp surfaces of knives and razors contain a coating to protect their sharpness and quality for a long time. White Vinegar reacts with this coating and reduces its sharpness. It may also react with stainless steel and deteriorate slowly over a period.
DIY Recipes of White Vinegar for Cleaning
Here are some homemade recipes of white vinegar for cleaning that you can easily try at home:
White Vinegar Cleaning Spray
You don't need too many ingredients to make a DIY homemade White Vinegar Cleaning Spray. Also, this spray will be powerful and effective as commercial home cleaners. Moreover, as we are going to use White Vinegar and other non-toxic items, it will be safe as well!
- Baking Soda - 2 cups
- Water - 2 cups
- White Vinegar - 2 tbsp.
Method of preparation
- Add baking soda to the water and mix it thoroughly until no lumps are formed. Use a fork or spoon to dissolve the baking soda completely in water.
- If you don’t have baking soda you can use soda crystals and White Vinegar to make this DIY solution.
- Now, add White Vinegar to the solution and stir it nicely. After that, you can store the liquid in a spray bottle.
- You can use this White Vinegar spray as a disinfectant for glass windows, bathroom tiles, and kitchen sinks.
- Spray the solution and let it sit on the surface for a while. After that, use a sponge or damp cloth to wipe them off clean!
Scouring Powder with White Vinegar
To clean hard and rigid surfaces such as kitchen counters, stove tops, tiles, etc. you need a powerful scouring powder. To make one using White Vinegar for cleaning, follow the below recipe.
- Baking Soda - ½ cup
- Water - 1 cups
- White Vinegar - 1 tbsp.
- Borax powder - 2 tbsp.
- Soap bar (optional) - ½ soap bar
- Mix ½ cup of baking powder with water and let it sit for at least 2 hours. Now, add 2 tbsp. of borax powder to the stain along with 1 tbsp. of White Vinegar.
- You can also grate the soap bar in the mixture to give a thicker and smoother consistency to it.
- Take the required mixture of scouring powder and rub it nicely on the stovetops and kitchen counters.
- Let the mixture sit for a while and then wash it off with water.
White Vinegar Paste for Cleaning
If you want to make a quick cleaning solution for your bathroom tiles, door knobs, and similar objects, mix White Vinegar with lemon. The acidic properties of lemon and White Vinegar will combine together to clear these surfaces with ease.
- Any detergent - 2 tbsp.
- Lemon juice - 2 tbsp.
- White Vinegar - 1 tbsp.
- Mix all the above ingredients together until it forms a smooth paste.
- Add a little more detergent or lemon juice to give a smooth consistency to the mixture.
- Apply the paste over stained door knobs and bathroom tiles. Use an utensil scrubber if the stains are rigid.
- Wash the surface once it gets cleaned completely.
Precaution of White Vinegar for Cleaning
Here are some precautions that you should take while using White Vinegar for cleaning purposes:
- Don’t use White Vinegar for cleaning stone surfaces made of quartz or granite. It may erode these stones over a while and spoil their finishing.
- You may clean the coffee maker or kettle with White Vinegar. However, rinse them with water thoroughly before using them in the future.
- Vinegar might not be able to clean the pet stains on your rugs and carpets. Therefore, using a commercial carpet cleaner for eliminating these stains.
- Don't mix regular vinegar, Apple Cider Vinegar, or any other flavoured vinegar with White Vinegar. It is because the other variants of Vinegar tend to stain surfaces.
- Do a colour test before using White Vinegar with baking soda for cleaning fabrics, mattresses, and carpets. For that, you can clean a small surface of the fabric with the White Vinegar solution before cleaning the entire mattress, garment, or carpet.
We have seen the tremendous potential of White Vinegar for cleaning as a surface cleaner. However, you should also be aware of the things you can and things you cannot clean with it. Also, go through the precautions list we have given above before using White Vinegar for cleaning purposes. If you follow all the instructions and precautions well, White Vinegar would serve as a multi-purpose cleaner for your home. Also, purchase White Vinegar that is chemical-free and eco-friendly. Use the DIY homemade White Vinegar Cleaner recipe given above and start cleaning your house!