The most common, uneasy and unpleasant symptoms of Sore Throat, for instance, throat ache, dryness, dry cough and such, affect us all at one point or the other as the weather changes. Sore Throat may be caused due to numerous reasons, like bacterial infection, viral infection, consuming cold substances and such. Many times, sore throat issues might be contagious as well as non-contagious, so it is advised to take proper care and remedy to cure the ailment completely.
The sore, raw and scratchy feeling along with continuous painful sensations in the throat may create difficulty in swallowing and talking for the person suffering from it. This is when Essential Oils for Sore Throat come into play. A lot of essential oils known since centuries along with their fabulous abilities to boost our immunity, calm inflammation and soothe soreness and uneasiness, may provide some relief by alleviating the symptoms of dry throat. This blog presents to you some of the essential oils which may help you with the sore throat problem. So, read on!
Benefits of Essential Oils for Sore Throat
Essential oils have been known since long to have calming and relieving effects on mind and body. Apart from inducing sleep and reducing anxiety, essential oils are also helpful in relieving the queasy symptoms of sore and cold throat. Some more benefits of essential oils for sore throat are:
- Steam inhalation of essential oils like Eucalyptus oil, Lavender oil and Ginger oil helps in relieving nasal congestion and cold.
- Diffusing essential oils such as Lavender oil, Frankincense oil and Peppermint oil helps in calming the sore throat build-up, thereby reducing uneasiness.
- A gentle body massage with essential oils like Thieves oil, Oregano Oil and Eucalyptus oil after diluting in any type of carrier oil, helps in calming the nerves and reducing pain due to throat soreness.
Top 10 Essential Oils for Sore Throat
Essential oils will not only give you relief from dry throat but also they will sooth the inflammation and pain caused due to sore throats. Mentioned below are some of the best essential oils good for sore throat problem.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil for Sore Throat
Derived from the evergreen Eucalyptus globulus tree, eucalyptus essential oil has been in use for the treatment of sore throat and cold since the 1800s. The compound eucalyptol contained in Eucalyptus Essential Oil gargle for sore throat infection is regarded as a natural remedy for respiratory tract ailments like scratchy throat, congestion, cough, cold and such.
Oregano Essential Oil for Dry Throat
Derived from the herb Origanum vulgare, oregano essential oil has the earliest evidence of being in use since 3000 BCE. The compounds carvacrol, thymol and terpinene contained in Oregano Essential Oil for sore throat are a revered alternative remedy for sore throat, cold and flu. The ability of oregano essential oil to fight cough and cold, relieve sore throat and alleviate inflammation makes it a potential candidate in the list of best essential oils for sore throat.
Frankincense Essential Oil for Cold Throat
Derived from the aromatic, resinous plant Boswellia, frankincense essential oil has been in use since 1500BCE, tracing back to the Egyptian Civilization. The aroma from Frankincense Essential Oil for sore throat helps in breaking down mucus which may accumulate in the respiratory tract and relieves the pain from sore throat, thereby relieving symptoms of ailments like asthma, bronchitis, sore throat, cough, cold and such.
Don't Miss: Best Essential Oils For Acne Scars and Pimples
Tea Tree Essential Oil for Swelling in Throat
Tea Tree Essential Oil is a revered alternative remedy for sore throat, cough and cold, derived by the steam distillation process of the leaves of the native Australian plant Melaleuca alternifolia. Tea tree oil clears the respiratory tract and relieves throat inflammation, thereby alleviating symptoms of sore throat.
Peppermint Essential Oil for Sore Throat
Derived from the steam distillation of stems, leaves and flowers of the aromatic herb Mentha piperita, Peppermint Essential Oil has shown to contain the compound menthol. Menthol has been used since time unknown, in throat lozenges and cough syrups to treat the sore throat problem, by alleviating inflammation and providing relief.
Ginger Essential Oil for Cold Throat
Derived from the steam distillation of the rhizome of the medicinal herb, Zingiber officinale, Ginger Essential Oil has soothing and calming properties which have been used since long to treat respiratory tract ailments like sore throat. Ginger oil has various antibacterial properties which help clear the throat from congestion and reduce inflammation and throat ache.
Clove Essential Oil for Dry Throat
Derived from the flower buds of the medicinal plant Eugenia caryophyllata, Clove Essential Oil is one of the major players in alleviating sore throat ailments. Clove oil inhalation helps in clearing the respiratory passage and relieves the itchiness in the throat which may arise due to soreness. Apart from immunity boosting properties, clove essential oil is also known for its anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties which help in soothing the dry and scratchy throat.
Thyme Essential Oil for Scratchy Throat
Derived by the steam distillation of leaves and flowers of the aromatic herb Thymus vulgaris, thyme essential oil is a reddish tinged, dark coloured oil with a spicy fragrance. Thyme Essential Oil is an extremely versatile oil, having been known in all aspects ranging from healthcare to medical care. Its strong anti-inflammatory properties provide relief from throat soreness, throat ache and other respiratory tract problems.
Hyssop Essential Oil for Throat Inflammation
Derived from the flowers and leaves of medicinal herb Hyssopus officinalis, hyssop essential oil having a pale yellow tint and numerous antimicrobial, antibacterial and antiviral properties. Hyssop oil has shown in studies to have mint-like properties which help in sore throat, cough, cold and other numerous symptoms of common cold.
Juniper Berry Essential Oil for Sore Throat
Derived from the berries of the coniferous plant Juniperus communis plant, Juniper Berry Essential Oil has a woody-spicy fragrance and is known far and wide for its versatility as a remedy for a humongous number of ailments. Juniper berry oil recognized by its piney aroma helps in reducing throat inflammation and calming any kind of irritation that may arise in the throat.
Don't Miss: The Ultimate Guide to Natural Butters
How to use Essential Oil for Sore Throat
Once you have considered and chosen the right essential oil for your sore throat problem, you must know of the various methods in which you can use the particular essential oil. Essential oils for sore throat can be used in a variety of different ways, such as follows:
- Steam inhalation by adding the 1-2 teaspoons of essential oil to a vessel containing boiling hot water and then inhaling the fragrant steam.
- Direct inhalation by putting 2-3 drops of the essential oil along with 1-2 drops of carrier oil (for instance, coconut oil, olive oil etc.) onto a handkerchief and inhaling directly.
- Diffusing using electric or candle-lit diffuser and diffusing the essential oil into the air, also called aromatherapy.
- Topical application by adding 6 drops of essential oil to 30ml of carrier oil (for instance, coconut oil, olive oil, palm oil, canola oil etc.) and applying it to the skin.
Essential oil blends and recipes for sore throat Here are some of the best sore throat essential oil blend recipes which you can use to get rid of dryness, swelling and pain in throat.
Steam inhalation sore throat diffuser blend
- 1 Teaspoon Clove essential oil
- 1 Teaspoon Juniper berry essential oil
- Large container of boiling water
Directions of usage:
- Pour clove oil and juniper berry oil to the bowl of boiling hot water
- Create a tent-like cover around your head over the bowl with a towel, draping it around your head
- Breathe in the steam for 5-10minutes
Seasonal sore throat and cold remedy for relieving symptoms
Directions of usage:
- Heat up the coconut oil till it melts.
- Add the essential oils and mix thoroughly.
- Pour it into a small container.
- Use this blend 2-3 times a day by applying on the throat, nose, back of the neck and chest to relieve your symptoms.
Thieves essential oil for relieving sore throat problem
- 10 Drops of Rosemary Essential Oil
- 20 Drops of Cinnamon Essential Oil
- 40 Drops of Clove essential oil
- 15 Drops of Eucalyptus essential oil
- 35 Drops of Lemon essential oil
- A glass bottle
Directions of usage:
- Pour out all the ingredients in the glass bottle.
- Fasten the bottle cap and shake for a while to incorporate all the essential oils together.
- Use 5-6 drops of Thieves Essential Oil in bath water or 2-3 drops in 2 tablespoons of carrier oil as massage oil for best results.
Don't Miss: All About Lavender Oil
Precautions while using essential oils for sore throat
- Using highly concentrated and volatile essential oils for sore throat without diluting and in "raw" form, may cause severe irritation when applied to the skin.
- Keep in mind never to ingest essential oils without proper knowledge of substances and guidance from experts.
- Keep essential oils out of reach of children to avoid any accidents.
- Undiluted essential oils when applied to the skin may cause skin inflammation and rashes, thereby irritating the mucous membranes of the skin.
- One should avoid usage of herbal essential oils like Oregano Oil, Thyme Oil, Rosemary Oil and such if they are allergic to Mint, Basil, Lavender etc.
Sore throat is a very uneasy and a painful ailment that often makes it difficult for the sufferer to speak and/or swallow. Essential Oils have long been a revered remedy to relieve the effects like cold, cough, throat ache and such, which follow sore throat in continuation. Various types of research conducted by researchers have shown that essential oils do help in alleviating the effects of sore throat to a certain extent. But, during usage of essential oils, it must be kept in mind that one should not rely only on aromatherapy and essential oil remedies. Apart from this, it must be always kept in mind that essential oils must not be ingested, as they may be toxic in their purest form.