Bed Bugs are little insects that feed on blood at night. These bed bugs bite and release an anesthetic that makes it easier to bite you at night while sleeping. The bite of these critters can cause irritation and sometimes infections as well. Essential Oils are one of the natural ways through which you can get rid of bed bugs.
Essential oils are chemical compounds that are extracted from all plant-based ingredients. It is safe and healthy to use Essential Oils for Bed Bugs as Essential oils possess Infinite Health Benefiting Properties that provide relief from the irritation caused by bed bugs. It also treats microbial infections, redness, and inflammation which are the result of Bed Bugs Bite. Essential oils are completely safe and healthy for your Skin and Hair so you can apply them without Stressing about side effects and reactions.
Benefits of Essential Oils for Bed Bugs
Essential Oils are a Natural Remedy that will help to get rid of bed bugs after only a couple of uses. Essential oils shave properties and characteristics that will treat the bite of bed bugs and repel the insects. Here are some of the benefits of Essential oil for Bed Bugs:
- Aromatherapy: Essential oils have a distinct fragrance that is used to repel bugs. It also relaxes the body and helps in getting better sleep if you are having a disturbed sleep cycle because of irritating bed bugs.
- Topical Use: Essential oil can be used for topical use in the form of creams, lotion, or ointments. Infusing essential oils in a diffuser will also help to get rid of bed bugs and other insects.
- Relieves Redness and Irritation: Some Essential oils are anti-inflammatory which helps to get rid of redness and irritation that is caused by the attack of bed bugs.
Top 10 Essential Oils For Bed Bugs
Here is the list of the Top 10 Essential Oils that will help banish bed bugs and other critters:
Tea Tree Essential Oil for Bed Bugs
Tea Tree Essential Oil is extracted from the tea tree plant's leaves, stems, and buds. It has powerful antioxidants which help to eliminate bacteria and virus. It is also effective against insects, bugs, critters, and biting midgets.
The chemical compounds in tea tree essential oil possess Antiseptic and Antiallergic properties that fight against bacteria and fungus and it also reduces allergic skin reactions. Applying the blend of Tea tree oil and coconut oil will not only banish the bed bugs but also calm the skin as well.
Lavender Essential Oil to Repel Bed Bugs
Lavender Essential Oil is derived from various parts of the Lavandula angustifolia plant. This oil is mostly used in aromatherapy as it has a soothing and comforting fragrance. The antifungal and antimicrobial properties in Lavender Essential oil are used to treat the irritation that is caused by the bed bugs’ bite.
Lavender essential oil possesses several health benefits that can be used as an insect repellent. The distinct fragrance of lavender essential oil helps in repelling bed bugs. This oil contains a high level of linalool which is one of the most effective pest deterrents.
Peppermint Essential Oil to Eliminate Bed Bugs
Peppermint Essential Oil is made using the leaves of the Peppermint plant. The menthol content present in the Peppermint plant repels insects and bed bugs. The fragrance of peppermint essential oil is used in aromatherapy as it helps to relax the body and mind.
Peppermint essential oil provides a cooling effect as it is a mint herb. This cooling effect helps to treat inflammation and irritation that is caused due to the attack of bed bugs. It is also used widely as a pest repellant. Infusing Peppermint Essential Oil and water in the diffuser work effectively at repelling bugs and insects.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil to Banish Bed Bugs
Eucalyptus Essential Oil is uprooted from the Eucalyptus plant. The aroma of this oil contains compounds that have a minty and camphor-like scent. This oil is used in many bug-repellant creams, ointments, and steaming oils as it is enriched with health-benefiting properties.
Eucalyptus oil is widely used to ward off tiny bugs and insects which causes irritation and inflammation. It ensures that your home is bedbug-free and pest-free. Eucalyptus essential oil can be used to make DIY bed bug repellant spray with water to deter the bugs from your place.
Clove Essential Oil for Bed Bugs
Clove Essential Oil is extracted from the flowering buds of the clove trees. It has a spicy and earthy aroma that is an excellent bug repellant. The compounds present in Clove essential oil are used to treat inflammation and infections that are caused due to the attack of bed bugs and pests.
Clove Essential Oil possesses powerful antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that are ideally be used for topical applications. This oil is used to kill and eliminate bed bugs due to its potent anti-pest properties. You can prepare a massage oil using clove essential oil by diluting jojoba or coconut carrier oil to repel bedbugs.
Cedarwood Essential Oil to kill Bed Bugs
Cedarwood Essential Oil is derived from the wood of the Cedar Tree. The rich and woody aroma of Cedarwood Essential Oil offers a variety of benefits for mental and physical health benefits. It is widely used in aromatherapy to improve stress levels and anxiety. It also works against inflammation.
Cedar Essential Oil is one of the most effective insect repellents. This oil builds a protective shield around the body that repels the irritating bugs and insects. It contains non-toxic properties which calm and soothes the skin. Cedarwood oil can help repel the bugs after sprinkling a few drops onto a cloth or tissue.
Citronella Essential Oil for Bed Bugs Bites
Citronella Essential Oil is sourced from the leaves and stems of the lemongrass Citronella plant. It is a commonly used ingredient in many insect repellents, creams, and sprays. The pungent and citrusy odor of Citronella Essential Oil helps to ward off bugs and pests.
The bug deterring spray and ointments protects against bed bugs which cause itchiness and irritation. Citronella essential oil can be used as a lotion as well as a room freshener to eliminate bed bugs and fleas.
Cinnamon Essential Oil to Prevent Bed Bugs
Cinnamon Essential Oil is derived from the barks and leaves of the Cinnamon Essential Oil. it has a very strong and spicy fragrance that is used widely in aromatherapy and steaming oil massages. It combats deadly bacterial organisms which feed the blood of humans.
The Cinnamon essential oil is used in many ointments, creams, and sprays that are effective against pests and bed bugs. It possesses antibacterial properties which are used in many disinfectants and bug repellants.
Lemongrass Essential Oil for Bed Bugs
Lemongrass Essential Oil is extracted from the leaves and stems of the Lemongrass plant. It has a fresh and citrusy fragrance which helps to purify the air. This oil can be used easily in aromatherapies as it has a garden-fresh fragrance.
The disinfectant sprays and soothing salves made from Lemongrass essential oil are quite effective for repelling insect and bed bugs. This oil possesses chemical compounds that relieve pain because of its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.
Thyme Essential Oil to Get Rid of Bed Bugs
Thyme Essential Oil is extracted from the Thyme shrub. It is a member of the mint family so it contains menthol, Carvacrol, and alpha terpinene content. This primary component of Thyme Essential Oil makes it a good insect repellent.
Thyme Essential Oil possesses antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties which make the atmosphere pleasant and germ-free. The aromatherapy or topic application using this oil is quite effective for eliminating bed bugs and pests.
How to Use Essential Oil for Bed Bugs
Essential Oils can be applied in various ways to get rid of bed bugs and other insects. Here are some of how you can use Essential Oil to eliminate critters:
- Topical Use: Essential Oil can be used topically in the form of lotions, ointments, and creams to protect yourself from bed bugs. You can even use essential oil blends and apply them to the bed bugs bitten area to calm and soothe the skin.
- Aromatherapy: Therapy using the Aroma of some specific Essential Oils is commonly used to get rid of bed bugs and other pests. Aromatherapy also makes the environment comforting and soothing.
- Anti-bug Repellant Spray: you can make DIY Anti-bug repellant spray using water and essential oils to ward off insects and bugs. This spray builds a protective shield that prevents you from the attack of bed bugs.
Best Essential Oil Recipe for Bed Bugs
Here are some of the best essential oils recipes which you can make to deter pests and other bugs:
DIY Anti-itch Lotion for Bed Bugs: You can make an Essential oil massage blend using Lemon Essential Oil and Citronella Essential Oil from VedaOils.
- Take 3 drops of Citronella Essential oil and 2 drops of Lemon Essential Oil in an airtight jar.
- Add 2 tablespoons fractionated Coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of Witch hazel Oil to it.
- Mix all the ingredients in a glass jar and cover it with an airtight lid.
DIY Bed Bug Spray With Essential Oils: Use Lemongrass Essential Oil, Lavender Essential Oil, and Eucalyptus Essential Oil from VedaOils to make this bed bug repellant spray.
- Take a spray bottle and add 2 tablespoons of Jojoba Oil to it.
- Add 1 Cup of water to the bottle.
- Then add 15 drops of Lemongrass Essential Oil and 10 drops of lavender essential oil, and 10 drops of Eucalyptus essential oil.
- Shake this mixture very well and spray it whenever there are bed bugs around you.
Diffusing Essential Oils Blends for Bed Bugs: You can use VedaOils Cedar Essential Oil and Thyme Essential Oil to make this diffuser blend.
- Fill a diffuser with water and 10 drops each of Cedar and Thyme Essential Oil.
- Mix this blend thoroughly.
- Infuse the diffuser to get rid of Bed Bugs.
Precautions to be Taken While Using Essential Oils for Bed Bugs
Essential oils are made using highly active chemical compounds which are extracted from plants so certain precautionary measures should be taken while using them. Here are some of the precautions mentioned below:
- Perform a patch test on your elbow before applying it directly to your skin.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women should consult their gynecologist before using any essential oil.
- Do not go in direct sunlight after applying the essential oils.
- Dilute the essential oils with a carrier oil before applying them directly to your skin.
- Essential oils should be kept away from children and animals.
- Do not apply any o the Essential oil close to your eyes.
- If you feel irritation or itchy sensations after applying any of the essential oil immediately rinse it off using a mild cleanser or soap.
The attack from Bed Bugs and pests can become severe as it may cause bacterial or fungal infections. You can DIY various products using Essential Oils from VedaOils to eliminate bed bugs. We at VedaOils offer the finest quality Essential Oils that are completely chemical-free and natural. You can buy our essential oils at a discounted price from our website.