Eczema is a dreadful skin condition that causes the skin to crack. The symptoms include severe skin inflammation, itchiness, and discomfort. The skin becomes patchy and sometimes, even blisters form on its surface.
There are some DIY recipes and ingredients that can provide relief from the symptoms of eczema. Epsom salt is one of the ingredients that can be utilised for eczema treatment. The anti-inflammatory properties of epsom salt make it one of the better bath salts for eczema. In this article, we will look at some of the best ways of using epsom salt for eczema.
Does Epsom Salt Make Eczema Worse?
Using epsom salt is recommended for eczema because its soothing effects reduce the symptoms. Therefore, it is suggested that one should take a patch test before using epsom salt for eczema.
epsom salt helps to soothe the rashes and itchy skin quickly. However, people who have a sensitive skin may experience further discomfort or rashes after using epsom salt for topical application via lotions or through baths.
Benefits Of Epsom Salt For Eczema
Epsom salt is a mineral rich salt that is beneficial against several skin issues. Some of these benefits are directly related to skin issues like eczema. These are the top 5 benefits of using epsom salt for eczema:
- Soothes The Skin: Epsom salt and eczema treatment are directly connected to each other. When an eczema patient takes a salt bath, the placebo effect relaxes the skin that is inflamed or irritated. It also helps to expedite the process of healing the damaged skin. By reducing the symptoms associated with eczema, epsom salt helps to heal the skin faster.
- Reduces Stress: Epsom salt also soothes the mind and reduces the stress associated with eczema or any other pain inflicting skin issue. The relaxing effects of an epsom salt bath also helps you to sleep peacefully at night. It also alleviates depression, anxiety, and other issues caused due to sensitivity of skin.
- Cleanses Skin: Epsom salt baths cleanses dirt, dead skin cells, and other impurities from the skin. It also helps in the process of skin generation which ultimately forms a barrier and prevents the skin from becoming damaged. Due to its gentle cleansing effects, it is also said to be beneficial for treating acne, psoriasis, and some other skin issues.
- Fades Discolouration: Eczema causes skin redness and discolouration to some extent. The healing effects of epsom salt reduces the discolouration and prevents issues like rashes and skin redness. As a result, it helps your skin to recover quickly from the effects of eczema.
- Soothes Bumps: The occurrence of raised bumps and scars due to eczema are common. Using body lotions or moisturisers containing epsom salt not only soothes the bumps but also prevents them from spreading further. It helps to alleviate the overall discomfort and symptoms associated with eczema.
How To Use Epsom Salt For Eczema?
Many skin experts suggest using epsom salt a via a warm bath. However, it is also necessary to understand how to make a perfect bath mix using epsom salt. The below sections will highlight the process of making and using epsom salt for eczema.
- Warm Water - 20 to 30 Gallons
- Epsom Salt - 3 Cups
- Lavender Essential Oil - 10 Drops (Optional)
How To Make It?
The follow steps will guide you on how to make DIY epsom salt recipe for eczema:
Step 1: Fill your bathtub with warm water first. The water should not be too hot. However, it should be warm enough to soothe your body.
Step 2: Add the essential oil drops to the epsom salt. We have used lavender essential oil in this recipe. Lavender essential oil contains anti-inflammatory and skin rejuvenating properties.
It fastens the process of skin healing and soothes the stress and irritation as well. However, you can use any other essential oil that contains similar properties.
Step 3: Add the epsom salt mixture to the bathwater. Using around 2 cups of epsom salt should be enough to soothe the eczema-affected skin.
How To Use It?
The following steps will help you understand how to use epsom salt for eczema:
Step 1: Enter the bathtub filled with warm water and epsom salt. Soak your body in it for at least 15 minutes.
Step 2: Avoid direct contact of bathwater with your eyes. It can cause irritation as epsom salt and concentrated essential oils are present in it.
Step 3: Wash your body with plain water after the bath. The water should not be warm but lukewarm this time. Your skin will feel soft and smooth again. Dry it with a soft and clean towel. Repeat this process daily for quick results.
Frequency Of Taking Epsom Salt Baths For Eczema
You may take a bath daily for healing eczema faster. However, if the conditions are not severe, you may take a bath on alternate days. It is advised that you ask a skin expert or doctor before determining the exact number of epsom salt baths you must take every week for healing eczema faster.
Precaution To Take While Using Epsom Salt For EczemaDon’t take epsom salt baths if there are deep cracks or scars on your skin. You should also avoid using it when your skin is injured or broken due to the severity of eczema. Using epsom salt for dermatitis is suggested only through external means. Therefore, you must not consume epsom salt hoping it will soothe the symptoms of eczema or any other skin issue.
Top 3 Epsom Salt For Eczema
Using pure and unadulterated epsom salt is the best way of treating eczema. However, determining the best epsom salt for eczema can be tricky as many brands provide it via both offline and online markets. Here are the top brands that provide epsom salt that can be used for making epsom salt scrub or epsom salt soak for eczema:
1. VedaOils Epsom Salt For Eczema
VedaOils is the leading provider of natural oils and ingredients. They also provide organic epsom salt that is free from chemicals and artificial preservatives. You can buy epsom salt in bulk from their portal at affordable rates.
The essential oils and other ingredients required for epsom salt bath or epsom salt scrub for eczema can also be purchased from their official website. They are the leading manufacturer and supplier of natural ingredients. Therefore, purchasing epsom salt from VedaOils is a good decision.
2. Mamaearth Epsom Salt For Eczema
Mamaearth is another brand that offers pure and natural epsom salt. Catered mostly for the retail buyers, the products offered on their website can be slightly expensive.
You can also buy custom made epsom salt products from their portal.
3. Nykaa Epsom Salt For Eczema
Nykaa is the ecommerce platform that offers epsom salts from some of the top brands in India.
You will find many choices on their portal. However, the prices on their app or website tends to be on the higher side as they are a D2C business.
We hope that you have got a clue regarding how to use epsom salt for eczema. You should try different recipes using epsom salt for treating eczema. However, to obtain faster results, purchase only natural and fresh epsom salt from providers like VedaOils. Also, do not forget to share your feedback with us after trying our epsom salt DIY bath.
Frequently Asked Questions
Welcome to our comprehensive FAQ section on Epsom Salt For Eczema !
Q.1 Does Epsom Salt Relieve Eczema?
Ans: Yes, epsom salt provides quick relief from the itching sensation or irritation caused due to eczema. It is possible due to magnesium and soothing properties of epsom salt.
Q.2 Is An Epsom Salt Bath Good For Eczema?
Ans: Epsom salt bath is considered to be good for eczema because it soothes the aggravated skin and prevents issues like skin rashes and redness. The epsom salt bath also soothes your mind and reduces eczema induced stress and anxiety.
Q.3 Which Epsom Salt Is Best For Bathing?
Ans: Any epsom salt retrieved from fresh and natural sources is good for bathing. You should avoid the ones that are chemically treated and contain synthetic fragrances and preservatives. Therefore, you should get it only from trusted sources like VedaOils.