We often use shot glass at home for enjoying or partying with our friends and family. However, most of the time, it is left unused for a long time. If you have a few spare shot glasses at home, then you might think of incorporating them into a creative process. Today, we will learn how to make DIY candles from shot glasses.
Shot glass is preferred over other glasses because they are sturdy and don’t get affected by soot and smoke easily. We are using only natural ingredients in the process of candle making to make them much more effective and safe for everyone. So let's dive deep into the candle-making process.
Know About Shot Glass Candle Making Supplies
You can purchase the shot glass candle-making supplies from a trusted source like VedaOils, which is known for providing 100% pure and chemical-free candle making supplies.
1. Soya Wax Flakes: Soy Wax Flakes are used because they burn clean and for a long time. Moreover, their low melting point proves to be ideal for making candles.
2. Cotton Wicks: Cotton wicks are known to burn easily and are also long-lasting. They are the most commonly used candle wicks as they are convenient to use. You may use pre-waxed cotton wicks that just need to be dipped in the molten wax. These wicks are usually compressed and hold their shape without any issues.
3. Thermometer: Choose a digital thermometer that is capable of reading temperatures up to 200-degree Fahrenheit. Remember that you would require to melt the wax at different temperatures depending upon the kind of wax you are using to make the candles.
4. Shot Glasses: Short, thick, and high-quality shot glasses are recommended for this DIY recipe. It is because these shot glasses are durable and are able to hold their shape and form even when the temperature is high enough due to the burning flame.
5. Essential Oils: Essential oils give a mesmerizing aroma to the candles. Scented candles make your rooms smell amazing and drive away from the foul odor that is present due to dust, dirt, insufficient ventilation, etc.
We recommend using Lavender, Peppermint, Rosemary, or Lemon Essential Oil as these oils have a powerful and soothing scent. The scent of essential oils also has a positive impact on your mood and energy.
How To Make DIY Shot Candles - Step by step
Now that you are ready with all the ingredients required to make DIY shot glass candles, you must also prep-up safety. For that, you will require safety gloves and safety goggles. Also, choose a stirring stick that is sufficiently long to avoid the melted wax from coming in direct contact with your skin.
Shot Glass Candle Supplies:
- Soy Wax Flakes - 100 Grams
- Cotton Wicks - 4
- Shot Glasses - 4
- Digital Thermometer - 1
- Any Essential Oil - A Few Drops (Optional)
- Wooden Stirring Stick - 1
Step 1: Melt Soy Wax Flakes
Take a saucepan and fill it 1/3rd of it with water. Bring the water to a boil and add soy wax flakes to the saucepan. Stir with a wooden stick until the wax melts completely. A temperature up to 125-degree Fahrenheit would be needed for the wax to melt completely.
Step 2: Add Essential Oil
Now, let the wax cool down to room temperature. When the temperature reaches around 110-degrees, add essential oil to it. You can also add fragrance oil for a strong aroma.
Step 3: Attach Candle Wick With Shot Glasses
Attach the candle wick to the center of the shot glasses. Use a centering device like a wick holder to keep the wicks in the center of the candles.
Step 4: Pour Wax into Shot Glasses
Finally, pour the molten wax into the shot glasses and let the wax cool down for a few hours, and after that, you can start using it.
Step 5: Voila! Your Candle is Ready
Your DIY candles are now ready to be used or for gifting purposes.
We hope that the DIY shot glass candles recipe managed to impress you. You may pack them in small and attractive packages while giving them gifts. The essential oils used in them might vary as per your requirements and preference.