It is an ether of fatty alcohols like Stearyl Alcohol or cetyl that are highly saturated. It is nonionic polyoxyethylene that is odourless and is available in the form of pellets of white colour. It is soluble in both alcohol and water and is often used to give a colloidal structure to the solution. Moreover, Ceteareth-20 can be combined with synthetic and vegetable oils and minerals.
The HLB value of Ceteareth-20 ranges between 15 and 17, and it is used in the making of oil-in-water emulsions. It is an effective emulsifier and surfactant and also possesses emollient properties. Also, it can be used as a cleansing agent in cosmetic products.
Ceteareth-20 helps in the production of emulsions by decreasing the surface tension of ingredients that are needed to be emulsified. Moreover, it also proves to be effective in reducing the viscosity or thickness of solutions used to make personal care products and liquid formulas.
Ceteareth-20 also helps other cosmetic raw materials to dissolve quickly in solvents. However, you might also need Ceteareth-100 and Ceteareth-50 to expedite this process. Its excellent cleansing properties make it one of the valuable additions in skin and hair cleansing applications.
- For Skin Care Products: Ceteareth-20 is used in a wide range of skincare and personal care applications as it is safe and skin-friendly. It increases the ability of skincare solutions to penetrate deep in the skin cells to improve their effectiveness.
- High Penetration Capacity: Due to its high penetration capacity it might not be a wise decision to use products containing this ingredient especially if you have dry, sensitive, or damaged skin.
- Easily Blends: It stabilizes emulsions when blended with other emulsifiers like glyceryl stearate. Moreover, it can be used along with different types of oils and active substances as well.
- Acts as Stabilizer: Ceteareth-20 is often used to stabilize various dispersed systems as it acts as a colloid that is protective in nature. It also proves to be useful as a thickener in gels and other solutions where colloidal consistency is expected from the final product.
How to Use Ceteareth-20?
The recommended concentration level ranges from 0.5 to 30% but the higher concentration level is only suitable for creating hydrates that are gel-like and brush-able. It is only formulated to be used for external applications.
- Applications: Creams, gels, foundations, lotions, sunscreen applications, conditioners, and different types of products that are emulsion based contain Ceteareth-20.
- Raw Material Source: Vegetable oils & Ethylene Oxide
- Manufacturing Process: Firstly, fatty alcohols such as stearyl and cetyl alcohols are obtained by processing vegetable oils and then they are ethoxylated with the help of ethylene oxide as the final product should contain 20 molecules of ethylene oxide.
- CAS Number: 68439-49-6
- INCI Name: Ceteareth-20
- Tested on Animals?: No
- GMO: This product is not tested for checking the presence of GMOs.
- Vegan: Vegans may also use this product as it does not contain cosmetic ingredients that are derived from animals.