You might get delicious lollipops at a grocery store or a candy shop. However, the ones that you will make at home will be more healthy and sumptuous. Moreover, the process to make them is quite fun. You can impress your kids with your special lollipops and provide them with a healthier alternative as compared to the readymade ones you get in stores.
Making lollipops with Candylicious or Candy Flavour Oil is pretty easy as you don’t need many ingredients for making them. You may also experiment with different fruit extracts to make unique and mouth-watering lollipops each time!
Why is it called Lollipop?
Though many believe that lollipops were invented much before, the credit of inventing the modern confectionery as we know it today is given to George Smith, a candy maker. He named the hard candies he made after Lollipop, the racehorse he loved the most. The name got stuck in the minds of people and today everyone knows these hard candies as Lollipop!
Ingredients to make Homemade Lollipop
Simple ingredients like sugar, corn syrup, and water will work like magic when blended with Bubblegum Flavor Oil. Bubblegum Flavor Oil has a sugary sweet flavour that is obtained by mixing flavours obtained from cherry, banana, strawberry, and orange. The juicy flavours of this flavouring essence make it perfect for making candies, lollipops, chocolates, and other confectioneries.
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Water - ¼ cup
- Corn syrup - ½ cup
- Bubblegum Flavour Oil - 1 ½ tsp.
- Food color - 1 tsp. (optional)
Steps to make Homemade Lollipop
You will need lollipop moulds to make homemade lollipops with ease. Also, a candy thermometer will be required as heating the mixture till the exact temperature is essential to give the necessary hardness to the candy. The steps for making a homemade lollipop with Bubblegum flavour oil are listed below:
- Step 1: Spray a little cooking spray inside the lollipop moulds. If excess oil gets sprayed, use a paper towel to wipe them out. The layer of oil should be very thin so that it doesn’t interfere with the actual contents of our homemade lollipop.
- Step 2: Start by pushing the lollipop sticks in their respective moulds. Now, take a saucepan and heat corn syrup, sugar, and water over a medium flame. Keep stirring until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Step 3: Boil the mixture to 149-degree Celsius. Use a candy thermometer to check the temperature of the mixture. Boiling the mixture up to 149-degrees C will give the homemade lollipop a hard texture which is known as hard crack. It means that the lollipop will make a cracking sound when you bite into it.
- Step 4: Now, remove the heat and allow the mixture to sit. You can also add colours and other flavours now. Now, fill the candy moulds with the mixture until the back of the sticks is covered with the candy.
- Step 5: Leave the moulds aside to cool down. It will take 15 to 20 minutes for them to harden. After that, you can enjoy these homemade lollies!
Tips for Homemade Lollipop
- There is no need to refrigerate the candies to cool them down. Just keep them in a dry and cold place and they will automatically harden up.
- Shake the sticks a little to check whether the candy has hardened. If it moves a little, it means that the candy is yet to be set.
- Insert the lollipop sticks into the half portion of the homemade lollipops. It will prevent the candy from falling while eating.
- Silicone moulds are not supposed to be used for making hard candies like lollipops. Therefore, you should be using plastic or rubber moulds for setting them.
Precautions while making Homemade Lollipop
Here are some precautions that you need to follow while making a homemade lollipop:
- Avoid heating the sugar syrup for too long as it might burn and create a bitter taste.
- Don’t put powdered sugar on the top of the candies as they might prevent them from hardening.
- Store the lollies in waxed paper to ensure that they remain edible for a longer period.
- Once the lollipop is made, you can refrigerate them if the climate is too hot and humid.
We are hopeful that you will serve flavorful homemade lollipops to your guests and kids. If you want to suggest something, please do let us know. Also, don’t get too frustrated if you don’t get the desired texture and taste on the first attempt. You can always learn from bad experiences and make them better the next time.