The castor plant, specifically its seeds, is the source of the vegetable oil known as castor oil. The oil is either colorless or extremely pale yellow. Even so, it is possible to obtain castor oil that is darker in color; this is because of the extraction process.
Despite being native to India and East Africa, the castor plant is grown in many tropical regions worldwide. Because it contains three fatty acids—oleic, linoleic, and ricinoleic, castor oil has been used for several purposes. One of them is a typical component of hair moisturizers.
What Does Castor Oil Do For Dry Curly Hair?
Many people with curly hair appreciate the oil despite it being thick and sticky because it promotes the growth of longer, stronger curls. It is packed with vitamins and nutrients, like protein, Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, and vitamin E, which nourish the strands.
Benefits of Castor Oil For Fine Curly Hair
Castor oil has a host of benefits that can replenish curly locks. Hair growth can be accelerated up to five times faster by using castor oil merely once a month since it stimulates and increases blood flow to the scalp. Its antimicrobial properties aid and moisturizes an itchy, dry scalp. Read on to know more.
- Moisturizes Dry Scalp: Natural moisturizer castor oil calms an itchy, dry scalp. Additionally, it aids in a pore clearing, which promotes the formation of curls.
- Prevents Hair Loss: Castor oil, rich in ricinoleic acid and omega-9, helps stop hair loss. It increases the blood flow around the scalp, nourishing hair follicles and roots.
- Avoids Frizz: Castor oil works as an emollient to soothe and smooth down frizzy hair. Additionally, it conditions for added softness.
- Fights Off Dandruff: If you have persistent dandruff, your curls may appear thinner and less attractive. Because castor oil contains ricinoleic acid, it has antifungal and antimicrobial characteristics. These characteristics help control dandruff and restore your bouncy curls.
- Cares For Dry Hair: Dry hair may be more prone to injury, resulting in split ends. Castor oil's fatty acids enable it to seal in moisture, keeping dry-prone hair softer, smoother, and healthier.
How To Use Castor Oil For Thin Curly Hair?
Castor oil is beneficial for curls, and you may maximize its effects by combining it with a curl-growth serum or a lighter oil. Castor oil can be combined with other types of oil, such as grapeseed, olive, black seed, coconut, jojoba, and black seed oil. Here are a few castor oil recipes worth giving a try:
1. Castor Oil Mask For Curly Hair
Aloe vera and castor oil hair masks are excellent for revitalizing your scalp and regulating healthy sebum, an oily fluid that prevents hair from drying and falling out. Tea tree oil also possesses antiviral, antifungal, and antiseptic qualities that fight dangerous germs and encourage hair development.
- Castor Oil - 2 tbsp
- Aloe Vera Gel - ½ Cup
- Tea Tree Essential Oil - 3 Drops
Step 1: Combine castor oil and aloe vera gel in a bowl and give it a good stir.
Step 2: Add tea tree essential oil and continue mixing for at least 2-3 minutes.
Step 3: Apply this paste now gently to your hair and scalp. Put on a shower cap and give the mask time to set.
Step 4: Keep the mask on for 30 to 40 minutes, then remove it with a gentle shampoo and water. Use the mask two times a week.
2. Castor Oil Shampoo For Curly Hair
A natural moisturizer like castor oil can calm an irritated, dry scalp. It also aids in clearing clogged pores, which promotes the formation of curls. Mixing it with your shampoo will have an added benefit, leaving your curls well moisturized.
- Shampoo - 4 Tablespoons
- Castor Oil - 1 Teaspoon
Step 1: Take a glass bowl and pour the amount of shampoo that is required.
Step 2: Add a teaspoon of castor oil into it and mix it thoroughly.
Step 3: Shampoo your hair with this mixture as you usually would. Wash it off with tap water.
3. Ginger And Castor Oil For Curly Hair
Castor oil and ginger have nutritional benefits that strengthen curly hair and stop curl loss. It nourishes the curls from deep within and hence stops breakage.
- Castor Oil - 2 Cups
- Ginger Juice - 1 tbsp
Step 1: One tablespoon of fresh ginger juice and two cups of castor oil should be added to a bowl and thoroughly mixed.
Step 2: Apply the mixture to your scalp and hair, then massage it in. Cover with a towel or shower cap.
Step 3: Give it 30 to 40 minutes to work, then shampoo it off and dry as usual.
4. Castor Oil And Coconut Oil For Curly Hair
Coconut oil is said to repair damaged or dry hair. Because of this, it's frequently used in deep conditioners or hair masks. Castor oil can accelerate hair development and make it thicker and faster. Here is a recipe incorporating both so that you can reap their benefits.
- Castor Oil - 3 tbsp
- Coconut Oil - 3 tbsp
Step 1: Wash your hair as you normally would. When you're finished, cover your head with a towel.
Step 2: In a microwave safe bowl, combine castor oil and coconut oil and heat for 10 secs.
Step 3: Apply the oil to your hair and thoroughly comb each portion. After combing it all through, massage your scalp while evenly distributing the oil.
Step 4: Wait for 30 minutes while wearing a shower cap. Wash your hair and condition it with a conditioner to finish it off.
Castor oil is the ideal filler for curly hair since it hydrates and delicately fills all damaged regions without overstuffing your hair. We advise using 100% pure and organic castor oil for the best results. VedaOils is a leading manufacturer of oils at the best possible price compared to the marketplace. Check out their website for more details and order yours.