When you have the chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), you will do almost anything to make breathing easier. A doctor will most likely prescribe a plan of medications and treatments to maintain healthy breathing in people with COPD. Essential oils are among the most popular natural treatments for smoking cessation and dietary changes.
Natural treatments should be included to treat this respiratory problem because they work with your body's natural healing processes and have few or no side effects. Essential oils can help with cough and cold symptoms by comforting the throat, fighting bacteria, and reducing inflammation. If this interests you, there are five options to consider.
Top 5 Essential Oils For COPD Patients
Essential oils are known for their distinct aroma. To see the best results, inhale it from the bottle or rub it on your chest, and the blend works by assisting in treating respiratory problems. Here are the top five essential oils for treating COPD.
1. Eucalyptus Essential Oil for COPD
Eucalyptus essential oil has a number of breathing-related properties, including the ability to act as an anti-inflammatory agent and cough suppressant and provide some pain relief.
COPD patients can also benefit from eucalyptus to boost their immune system. If you plan to apply eucalyptus essential oil directly to the skin, dilute it with a carrier oil to reduce the risk of skin irritation. Five drops of eucalyptus per ounce of the carrier are the ideal ratio.
2. Oregano Essential Oil for COPD
Oregano essential oil is high in carvacrol, a powerful antimicrobial agent that can fight off a variety of germs.
As a result, this essential oil could aid in treating COPD caused by viruses or bacteria. Adding a few drops of oregano essential oil to a diffuser or using it in a topical blend can help with coughs, throat pain, and other COPD symptoms.
3. Frankincense Essential Oil for COPD
Frankincense, which comes from the Boswellia tree, has many of the same properties as myrrh. It does, however, have a completely different scent.
Frankincense essential oil is sweeter, with a hint of citrus and spice, and is beneficial to one's health and well-being. If you're going to use frankincense directly on your skin, dilution is necessary.
4. Lavender Essential Oil for COPD
Lavender essential oil is another oil beneficial to COPD sufferers because it is an antioxidant that helps the body fight disease progression and growth. Lavender can help relieve stress, which can exacerbate COPD symptoms.
After being exposed to the floral scent of lavender, it reduces stress hormone levels. Lavender essential oil is less irritating than other essential oils, so that it can be applied to the skin with very little dilution.
5. Orange Essential Oil for COPD
In aromatherapy, the orange essential oil has traditionally been used to treat sore throats, bronchial conditions, and laryngitis. Orange essential oil contains active compounds that are powerful antioxidants that can help with cough-related inflammation.
The lymphatic system, which stores and transports white blood cells throughout the body via lymph fluid, is effectively stimulated by the orange essential oil. The better your chances of avoiding infections, colds, and diseases are, the more lymph can move freely throughout your body.
Essential Oil Blend Recipe for COPD Relief
This homemade chest rub is a safer alternative to Vicks vaporub and other cough congestion relief balms. Readymade products, unfortunately, contain harmful ingredients such as synthetic chemicals and even petroleum.
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil - 10 Drops
- Lavender Essential Oil - 10 Drops
- Golden Jojoba Oil - ¼ Cup
- Oregano Essential Oil - 8 Drops
- Frankincense Essential Oil - 5 Drops
- In a small pot, gently melt golden jojoba oil.
- Stir in all of the essential oils thoroughly.
- Fill small jars or any airtight container with a lid with the mixture.
- Allow it to cool completely before applying it to your chest and back.
How to Use Essential Oils for COPD?
Essential oils can be used in a variety of ways to make the most out of them. Different procedures are used to get rid of the COPD symptoms. There are a few other options you can try to get rid of COPD problems:
- Topical Application: Essential oils can be applied to the skin for a soothing aroma or improve skin health, but they must be diluted with a carrier oil to avoid any health risks. The essential oil blends can be used to alleviate sinus congestion and other COPD symptoms.
- Diffuser: Essential oil diffusers come in various shapes and sizes, and each one is an effective way to fill your space with healthy plant essences. For the best results, consult the instructions for your specific diffuser type, then start experimenting with your favorite single oils or two or more.
- Steam Inhalation: Inhale your respiratory supportive essences directly from the bottle for on-the-go comfort. Open the bottle, hold it a few inches from your nose, close your eyes, and breathe deeply. You can also try one of our recommended COPD steam blends.
That's all we have for you! That concludes our list of the top essential oils for COPD. All you have to do is scrape through the list and choose the best essential oil for you; this will vary depending on your respiratory requirements. Looking for the best place to buy 100% natural and organic essential oils? VedaOils is the place to go.