Terra cotta pots are used for drinking tea or coffee in India. Smaller Terra cotta pots are used for lighting lamps during festivals like Diwali. However, you can also use these pots to make scented candles.
The rustic charm of Terra Pots and the magical fragrance of scented candles are a perfect combination for festivals and special occasions. In this article, we will learn how to make Terra cotta candles at home by using a few ingredients.
How To Make Candles in Terra Cotta Pots?
The procedure to make Terra cotta candles is quite simple. Instead of using a candle jar, you will use Terra cotta pots to set the candles. The remaining process is almost similar to the process of making regular scented candles. The candle-making supplies required for the same are specified below.
Candle Making Supplies:
- Terra Cotta Candle Pots - 6 (Medium Sized)
- Yellow Beeswax Pellets - 1 Pound
- Lavender Essential Oil - 3 To 4 Drops
- Candle Wicks - 6
- Glue Dots - 6
Know More About Terra Cotta Candle Supplies
Now that you have understood about the supplies that are to be used for making Terra Cotta candles, it is time to know about the properties and benefits of these candle-making supplies. Let's take a look at these ingredients one by one:
- Terra Cotta Candle Pots: Terra cotta candle pots are easily available on offline and online channels. They are usually made of clay and are handmade pots. You can order the pots of the size according to the size of the candle you are planning to make.
- Yellow Beeswax Pallets: Beeswax is a natural form of wax that is non-toxic and natural. It is mostly used for making DIY body lotions, creams, and lip balms. However, you will easily find it in the form of pallets on online and offline commerce. Beeswax pellets are easy to melt and are safe for everyone.
- Candle Wicks: Choose cotton candle wicks as they are convenient and easy to use. Select the wick size as per the size of the Terra cotta candle pots. Small candle pots usually require a candle wick of up to 1 ½ inch, whereas wicks up to 2 to 3 inches are required for medium-sized pots. Pre-waxed cotton wicks are ideal because they burn slowly and enhance the longevity of your candles.
- Glue Dots: Glue dots are adhesive dots that can stick on different surfaces if you apply a little pressure. We will be using these glue dots to stick the cotton wicks inside the Terra cotta candle pots. Get high-quality glue dots from a stationery shop or from an online shopping portal, as it needs to be effective and easy to use.
- Lavender Essential Oil: Lavender Essential Oil will give a mesmerizing aroma to your scented candles. You can purchase any other essential oil of your choice, but we recommend Lavender Essential because its aroma has amazing stress-busting properties.
DIY Terra Cotta Candles at Home - Step by step
Finally, before you start making candles, wear safety gloves and goggles. This safety equipment is needed while melting the candles and are especially recommended for beginners. To learn how to make Terra cotta votives or Terra cotta candles, go through the below steps:
Step 1: Pour the beeswax pellets into a double boiler. Melt it and turn off the heat.
Step 2: Once the wax cools a little, add the essential oil and blend it well.
Step 3: Now, attach the wicks to the Terracotta pots with the help of glue dots.
Step 4: Pour the melted wax into the pots and allow them to set. Your Terracotta Candles will be ready in 5 to 6 hours but let them cure for at least 24 hours before you start using them.
We hope that you understand the process of making Terracotta candles. You can also make Terracotta colored candles by adding a pinch of natural color to the wax. However, ensure that you get the candle-making supplies and other ingredients like essential oils only from trusted sources.
VedaOils is one of the best places to find all the candle-making supplies in one place. You will also find different natural and pure essential oil varieties on their online portal. You can also avail of amazing deals and discounts for bulk purchases on VedaOils.