- Potassium Sorbate
Potassium Sorbate is one of the inactive salts of the Sorbic acid. It can be dissolved in water to form sorbic acid that proves to be effective against bacteria, yeast, and other germs. It is a premium quality product and its purity is greater than 98%. Potassium Sorbate is available in fine powdered form of white color. It is odorless and can be easily dissolved in water that is cold.
Packed with antimicrobial properties, Potassium Sorbate is also used as one of the preservative ingredients in skincare and cosmetic products. Sorbic acid is naturally found in many food products such as cheese, dried meat, fruits, yogurt, etc. However, since this product is prepared from a chemical process, you cannot ingest it internally. The activity of Potassium Sorbate when dissolved in water depends on its pH level.
Potassium Sorbate can be used according to the desired pH level and activity in various skincare applications.The concentration level should be kept low while using in skincare products as higher concentration might prove to be harmful for your skin.
Potassium Sorbate Benefits
- Used in Cosmetic Products: By using Potassium Sorbate, you can extend the shelf life of your cosmetic products. However, it is just a mild preservative and therefore, you might have to use it as one of the cosmetic raw materials along with the other preservatives. It is gentler than synthetic preservatives like parabens and phthalates and therefore, can prove to be a good alternative to them.
- Treating Infections: It is also used to stop the effects of yeast, mold, and fungi that might interfere with chemical composition of the products. Therefore, it is also used for treating infections that are caused due to these external agents.
- Enhance Fragrance: It is also sometimes used for enhancing the fragrance of personal care and skincare products. It is compatible with all skin types but you should be careful while using it as overuse might cause skin rashes or irritation.
- Acts as Stabilizer: People who have a sensitive skin should be careful while using it. Its overall effectiveness is improved by using EDTA or other chelating agents. You can add it in shampoos due to its stabilizing effects.
How to Use Potassium Sorbate?
Do not use it over the concentration level of 0.3%. The concentration levels range from 0.15 to 0.3% but when used along with other preservatives you can use it within the range of 0.1 to 0.2%. Remember that this product is meant only for external use.
Potassium Sorbate Specifications
- Applications: It can be used with shampoos, creams, makeup products, sunscreens, makeup products, etc.
- Raw Material used: Sorbic Acid
- Manufacturing Process: Sorbic Acid is neutralized with potassium hydroxide to form Potassium Sorbate. Sorbic acid is obtained through a condensation process by using ketene and crotonaldehyde.
- CAS Number: 24634-61-5
- INCI Name: Potassium Sorbate
- PH Level: 4.4
- Tested on Animals?: No
- GMO: It is GMO-free as it does not comprise any ingredients that are obtained from plants.
- Vegan: Vegans can prefer this product as it does not contain any ingredients that are obtained from animals.