- IPM/ISO Propyl Myristate
IPM/ISO Propyl Myristate
Isopropyl Myristate is an ester that exhibits emollient and lower viscosity. It is available in liquid form and can be mixed with mineral and vegetable oils to improve the nutritional properties of the formulas when intended for use in skin care applications.
IPM is also effective in reducing the greasiness of emulsions. Isopropyl Myristate cannot be dissolved in water but it can be dissolved in oils such as castor oils. This ingredient gets dissolved in hydrocarbons and silicone as well.
Isopropyl Myristate is a vegetable derived ester of myristic acid and isopropyl alcohol and has the ability to tolerate a broad pH range. Also, it can be blended with most surfactants and therefore, it can act as a co-surfactant when used at recommended concentration levels.
Moreover, IPM increases the spreadability of formulas and exhibits low density and viscosity. Therefore, it can also be used to make formulas or the end product less viscous.It is an odorless liquid/oil but sometimes it may contain a mild odor.
Isopropyl Myristate Uses
- Used in Bath Care Products:Due to its powerful emollient properties, it can be used in body oils, baby care oils, and other bath care products. It also reduces the greasiness of products and therefore, can be used in cleansers and body washes.
- Lubricant Properties: It can serve to be a lubricant and is also used for compressing pressed powders. Due to the lower density, it gets easily absorbed in the skin and therefore, it is also added in creams and lotions.
- Uses in Cosmetics: You can use it as an effective cosmetic ingredient in makeup removers as it has the ability to remove impurities and makeup ingredients from the surface of your skin. Moreover, it is also added to hair care products as it makes hair follicles glossy.
- Acts as Preservative: It may also serve as one of the preservatives in cosmetic products as it resists oxidation and prevents the ingredients from becoming rancid. Sometimes, Isopropyl Myristate is also used as a diluent while manufacturing fragrance oils.
How to Use Isopropyl Myristate
You don’t have to change the chemical composition of Isopropyl Myristate before adding it to the formulas. However, add it when the formula is in the oil phase and keep the use level between 1 and 20%. The HLB has to be 11.5 and for storage always use a cold and moisture-free place.
Isopropyl Myristate Specifications
- Applications: You will find IPM in lotions, shower gels, shampoos, hand creams, makeup removers, foundations, and other makeup products.
- Raw Material Source: Myristic Acid & Isopropanol
- Manufacturing Process: It is manufactured through distillation and then myristic acid and propanol are processed with the help of esterification. Lastly, the obtained alkali is refined for neutralizing the catalyst.
- Tested on Animals: No
- GMO: GMO-free
- CAS Number: 110-27-0
- INCI Name: Isopropyl Myristate (IPM)
- Vegans: It does not comprise components that are derived from animals. Therefore, it can be used by vegans as well.
- Alternative Names: Myristic Acid Isopropyl Ester, Tetradecanoic acid, 1-methylethyl ester ,
- Specific Gravity: 0.85 at 20-degree Celsius.
Note: Remember that this product is manufactured for external application only.