- Dimethicone (DMPS 350)
Dimethicone (DMPS 350)
Dimethicone which is also known as silicone oil is derived from silica. Also known as polydimethylsiloxane when it is available in its purest form. This cosmetic ingredient comes in multiple viscosities, and this variant has 350 centistokes of viscosity. It means that it has a moderate viscosity which helps it to protect the skin barrier. Moreover, Dimethicone also possesses conditioning properties that make it an effective cosmetic raw ingredient in hair and skin conditioners.
Dimethicone used in various cosmetic formulas to reduce the final product's foaming properties. Moreover, dimethicone acts as a filming agent in different cosmetic formulations. Excessive use of this product might clog your pores and make them dry. Also, it is a non-biodegradable ingredient. Therefore, you will need to check this ingredient's concentration level when used in skin care and hair care applications. It has a mild odour and easily dissolved in water.
- Prevent Diaper Rash and Skin Irritation: Mainly used to reduce skin irritation and can be used to heal diaper rashes and skin burns as well. It exhibits emollient properties when used at limited concentration levels and can be used to make your skin soft and supple.
- Relieve Dry Skin: Dimethicone can also be used in creams and ointments that are used to treat scaly, dry, and itchy skin. It is used to make the final products more malleable and enhance their spreadability, ultimately resulting in better performance of the cosmetic products.
- Lubricating Agent: Dimethicone also used due to its lubricating properties as it makes solutions non-sticky. It is used to increase the shelf life of products, and it also increases its water-repelling potential.
- Act as a Preservative: Dimethicone can also be utilized in cosmetic products for benefitting from its preservative properties. It forms a protective film over your skin cells and protects them from pollutants and external toxins.
- Used in Cosmetics Products: Dimethicone used in cosmetic applications like lipsticks, lip balms. The water-repelling ability of Dimethicone ingredient makes it a good addition to these makeup products.
How to Use Dimethicone?
You can use it within the concentration levels of 0.5 to 3%. It is meant only for external purposes.
Dimethicone (DMPS 350) Specifications
- Applications: Dimethicone (DMPS 350) used in Creams, lotions, moisturizer, shampoos, conditioners, ointments, lipsticks, lip balms, and other skin care, hair care, and make-up products contain this ingredient.
- Raw Material Source: Silica
- Manufacturing Process: It is obtained from sand and quartz which are two types of silicas.
- Tested on Animals: No
- GMO: GMO-free
- Vegan: It does not contain animal-derived components. As a result, it can be used by vegans as well.
- CAS Number: 63148-62-9
- INCI Name: Dimethicone
Note: This product is only meant for external application. Therefore, avoid using it internally, and do not use it if you are suffering from any skin ailments.