Allantoin is a white powder that comprises compounds that make it ideal to be included as one of the cosmetic ingredients in skincare applications. It is found naturally in the comfrey plant’s leaves and roots. To meet the standards for use in cosmetics, it is often produced artificially but care is taken to make it similar to the ingredient that occurs naturally in the comfrey plant. Also, it is 100% pure and is available in the powdered form of white color.
Allantoin is also known as 5-ureidohydantoin, glyoxyl-diureide, etc., and has a high melting point that goes up to 230-degree Celsius. Moreover, it can be dissolved in water if you dissolve 1 gram of Allantoin in 200ml of water. Also, it becomes hard to dissolve it if the concentration level exceeds 0.5%.
Allantoin Acid Benefits
- Soothing Property: It has soothing and anti-irritant properties, so it is often used in products that are meant to treat scars, cuts, scrapes, and minor wounds.
- Wound Healing Property: Allantoin boosts the new cell regeneration of the epidermis and improves the rate of recovery when it comes to wounds and cuts.
- Moisturizing Agent: It is an active ingredient that is blessed with moisturizing properties and is safe and skin-friendly as well. Therefore, it is used in various skincare applications.
- Used in Cosmetics Products: It increases the performance of lotions and creams by making your skin smooth, supple, and soft when used at lower concentrations.
- Repair Skin Barrier: Allantoin is also used to heal cracked, dry, and chapped skin due to its soothing properties. Moreover, it also alleviates pain due to cracked and dried skin cells and boosts the healing process.
- Keratolytic Agent: It is ideal for all skin types including sensitive skin, As it is non-irritant by nature. It is also used as a keratolytic agent as it makes the hard cornified skin cells from the upper layer soft and helps to exfoliate them comfortably.
- Exfoliant: It is also used to exfoliate dead skin cells and other impurities from your skin. It is also loaded with ingredients that rejuvenate your skin and its anti-aging property makes it effective to make your skin look fresher and younger than before.
- Tightens the Skin: Allantoin tightens and firms your skin texture by reducing the size of your skin pores.
How to use Allantoin acid?
You can either add Allantoin after the process of emulsification or when the formula is in the water-phase. The concentration level can range from 0.2 to 2% only. If you add it to the formulas when it is hot and then cool it down quickly, it might tend to form crystals. It is only used for external application purposes.
Allantoin Acid Specifications
- Applications: Allantoin can be used in creams, lotions, sunscreens, skin protection applications, shampoos, lip care products, baby care applications, and many other products as well.
- Raw Material Source: Urea & Glycolic Acid
- Manufacturing Process: It is manufactured by a synthetic process in which urea and glycolic acid are condensed.
- Tested on Animals?: No
- GMO: It is GMO-free as it does not contain any components that are derived from plants.
- Vegan: It can be used by vegans also as it does not contain any cosmetic raw materials or ingredients that are derived from animals.
- CAS Number: 97-59-6
- INCI Name: Allantoin
Note: This product is only meant for external application. Therefore, avoid using it internally, and do not use it if you are suffering from any skin ailments.