Is that pesky joint pain holding you back from enjoying a play session with your little one? With age and daily stress, joints and muscles can become sore, tight, and painful they can lose their flexibility, swiftness and become less moveable. All this can hamper your daily activity and hinder your lifestyle.
But does that mean that you succumb to the pain and compromise with all the fun? No, because we help you get over the annoying pains and joint aches with some simple home remedies and the much trusted traditional massage therapy using natural essential oils. For years essential oils have been trusted for their natural goodness, soothing effects, and pain-relieving properties.
Here we share with you the secrets of homemade massage oils that can work magic on your tensed muscles and joints. Further, we give you insights into the therapeutic values of each of the essential oils used in our recipes and how they relieve stiff joints and painful muscles.
Benefits of Using Massage Oil: Natural Pain Healer
Though occasional massage sounds like good relaxation to the ears, regular massage is a form of treatment that is most effective in treating joint and muscle aches. It is the most recommended therapy for serious arthritis and rheumatoid pain. However, correct massage oil makes this treatment even more effective and increases its efficacy.
Massage oils are a combination of essential oils and carrier oils. They not only soothe tired muscles but uplift your mood and offer sensual relaxation to your mind, body, and senses. It reduces stress, anxiety and improves your general well-being.
Here, we list some of the major benefits of using massage oils in your daily self-care regimen.
- Calming Smell: Massage oils with the perfect blend of plant-based carrier oils and essential oils are infused with a natural scent and aroma that relaxes and soothes your mind and soul. The heavenly smells of the massage oils transform you into a peaceful world free from stress, pain, and discomfort. Its enticing aromas work the magic equally powerful as its physical effect.
- Relieves Pain: While massage oils soothe your entire body, they work effectively well on joints, knees, and strained muscles that need extra care. They relax the joints and have a therapeutic effect that aids in repairing damaged tissues and muscles. It fades away muscle tension and warms up the cold, tight muscles. By reducing friction between sore joints, relieves pain and increases flexibility.
- Increases Blood Circulation: Cold weather and a sedentary lifestyle make joints and muscles sore with poor blood circulation. This results in slower production of joint fluids. A deep tissue massage, especially in the joint areas using homemade massage oil, helps to remove toxins that clog the muscles. The gentle strokes using a soothing massage oil increases blood circulation and stimulate joint fluid secretion.
- Quickly Relieves Muscle Tension: Homemade massage oils with their perfect blend of essential and carrier oils work effectively on strained muscles and aching joints. Light strokes help the oil penetrate deep into the skin and easily absorb the muscle tissues. It reduces muscle tensions that cause painful spasms and annoying contractions. The massage oil works as a body tranquiliser and relieves pain considerably by reducing muscle inflammation.
- Acts as a Mood Stimulator: The magic of massage oils works well on the muscles and joints, and your mind. While it relaxes the body targeting joint pains, knees, and aching muscles, it has an equally soothing effect on your mind. It enhances your mental health and offers an instant kick or boost to your mood. You feel energetic, refreshed, and rejuvenated. It stimulates a neurological response to your brain, indicating a relief from pain and a sense of calmness and mental satisfaction.
DIY Homemade Massage Oil Recipe for Joint Pain Relief
Having learned about the multiple benefits of massage oils, it is time to try your hands at some simple DIY homemade recipes of massage oils that can help you and your dear ones overcome joint, muscle, and knee pain effectively at home without spending hours and a fortune at fancy spas and massage clinics.
Recipe 1: Olive Massage Oil for Joint Pain
Oleocanthal, the natural compound in olive oil, is loaded with anti-inflammatory properties that help to reduce joint and knee pain. Olive oil massage helps soothe aching muscles and reduce muscle spasms that can be too painful at times.
It gets well absorbed into the skin and offers instant relief from swelling, aches, and muscle contractions.Try this simple recipe of homemade olive massage oil using a combination of red chilli peppers and say goodbye to aching joints and sore muscles.Ingredients
- 2 cups olive oil
- 8-10 fresh red chilli peppers
- 1-litre glass jar
Step 1: First, wash the red chilli peppers thoroughly and remove the stems.
Step 2: Grind the peppers in a food processor till you get a finely chopped mixture.
Step 3: Add the pepper mixture to the glass jar and pour olive oil.
Step 4: Leave the mixture in a cool dark place.
Step 5: After seven days, strain the mixture and store the oil in a clean glass jar.How to Use
Apply the oil on the affected areas like the knee, joints, and tired muscles several times a day or experience the pain. Massage the oil gently on the area and cover the area with warm socks or clothes.
Tip: You may experience a slight tingling effect after massaging the oil on the affected area. This is normal due to the presence of chilli paste, and the tingling sensation shall subside after some time. However, remember to keep the oil away from sunlight.
Recipe 2: Camphor Massage Oil for Joint Pain
Camphor oil is an ideal remedy for joint and knee pain. Its anti-arthritic and anti-rheumatic properties reduce inflammation and improve blood circulation in the area where it is applied. When combined with coconut oil, its potency increases and relieves pain and reduces muscle spasms.Ingredients
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon camphor powder
- A mixing bowl
Step 1: In a mixing bowl, add hot coconut oil. Ensure that the oil is just hot but not boiling.
Step 2: Now, add the camphor powder and give it a good mix. Let the mixture cool.How to Use
Once the oil blend cools down, apply it on the affected areas like aching joints, knees, and muscles twice a day. Massage the areas gently.
Tip: Keep the prepared massage oil in an air-tight container, else the mixture shall lose the essence of camphor, and the oil shall not be as effective as desired.
Ingredient Facts of Joint Pain Massage Oil
The above two recipes are super simple and use everyday pantry items like olive oil and camphor oil. But, why these two ingredients? Well, because both are natural storehouses of anti-inflammatory properties that work well to reduce pain and aching discomfort. Check out the qualities of these two key ingredients that make our homemade massage oils so effective.
Olive Oil: Olive oil contains a natural compound called Oleocanthal with similar anti-inflammatory properties resembling non-steroidal drugs like ibuprofen and aspirin. These properties reduce swelling, inflammation, and joint pain. Loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, olive oil controls friction and soreness between joints, thus increasing mobility and swiftness. It helps to heal damaged tissues and reduces wear and tear between muscles.
Camphor Oil: Camphor oil is a common ingredient in pain relief medications. By stimulating blood circulation, camphor oil treats muscle aches and reduces chronic pain in joints. A gentle massage with camphor oil moisturizes the skin topically while relieving the sore tissues and muscles below. It has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that keep the skin and tissues healthy. With a warm, cool, and tingling sensation, camphor effectively reduces both mild and acute pain.
Q1. Can massage oils treat rheumatoid arthritis?
A: Rheumatoid arthritis is an acute condition of the joints and muscles. Though massage oils cannot treat this condition from the roots, they are highly effective in treating swelling, inflammation, pain, and stiffness. By controlling the symptoms of arthritis, massage oils make the pain bearable and increase daily mobility.
Q2. Is daily massage harmful?
A: A moderate and gentle massage with appropriate homemade massage oil is never harmful and can be practised daily. However, refrain from applying excessive pressure during your massage sessions as it can adversely affect joints and tissues, leading to underlying injuries.
Q3. Which oil to use for massage?
A: Most essential oils like olive oil, almond oil, jojoba oil, lavender oil, and sesame oil work great for a massage of joints and muscles, especially when combined with carrier oils. They are loaded with natural nutrients that translate pain and ache into relief and relaxation.
Q4. Can oil massage reduce knee pain?
A: An oil massage increases blood circulation in the joint areas like the knees and increases the secretion of joint fluid. This drastically reduces friction between joints and offers relief from chronic pain, muscle spasms, and contractions.
Suppose you are still crippling with joint and knee pain and looking for fancy treatments that only promise relief rather than delivering it. In that case, it's time you switch to these homemade massage oils that attack curb pain and reduce muscle stiffness with promising results. So, time to say goodbye to knee jerks and welcome the massage oil perks.