Petroleum Jelly or Petrolatum is one of the most used cosmetic ingredients in cosmetic and personal care products. Petroleum Jelly can prove to be beneficial for your skin if it is properly purified or refined. However, many times it is not fully refined and might create many issues. We have manufactured totally refined USP Grade Petrolatum for our customers.
Petrolatum jelly is created as a byproduct while refining petroleum. Its melting point is a little greater than 37-degree Celsius which means almost equal to that of human body temperature. As a result, Petroleum Jelly melts easily when applied to the surface of your skin. Petroleum Jelly is used in cosmetic applications since it creates a thick film over your skin which repels water and holds moisture. Moreover, this filmy layer also protects your skin from pollutants, germs, and bacteria.
Petroleum Jelly is available in 100% pure form and is in a semi-solid state. It is a mixture of hydrocarbons that are derived from petroleum. Petroleum Jelly is odorless and translucent when it comes to its appearance. Petrolatum Jelly does not oxidize when exposed to air and does not dissolve in water as well. Petroleum Jelly gets dissolved in hot alcohol.
Petroleum Jelly Benefits
- Skin Moisturizer: Petroleum Jelly is an effective emollient that does not allow moisture to evaporate from the surface of your skin. Petroleum Jelly moisturizes your skin deeply and can be used as a lubricating agent in personal care applications.
- Viscosity Controlling: When used in formulas, petroleum jelly can improve its viscosity and bring a thick consistency. Therefore, the concentration of Petroleum Jelly might depend on the level of thickness or consistency you want to achieve in the final product.
- Prevent Diaper Rash: Its gliding nature of petroleum jelly makes it an ideal ingredient of lip care applications as well. Moreover, you can also use Petroleum Jelly for healing diaper rashes.
- Relieve Dry Skin, Including Your Lips and Eyelids: Petroleum Jelly is powerful enough to provide solid protection from burns, wind, dust, and other impurities. Petroleum Jelly prevents drying of the skin and therefore, proves to be one of the best cosmetic raw materials when it comes to the products that are used for dry or chapped skin.
- For Cracked Heels & Scars: Petroleum Jelly also proves to be effective against minor cuts, burns, and scrapes. However, ensure that the cuts and wounds are thoroughly cleaned before the application of Petroleum Jelly.
How to Use Petroleum Jelly?
You can use petroleum jelly adds only when the formula is in the fat-phase. The recommended concentration level can vary between 5 and 20% as per your requirement.
|Raw Material Source:||Petroleum|
|Manufacturing Process:||Petroleum through the process of fractional distillation|
|IUPAC Name:||White Petroleum|
|Molecular Weight:||209.29 g/mol|
|Grade Standard:||USP Grade|
|Shelf Life:||24 months|
|Alternative Names:||Soft Paraffin|
|Applications:||Cosmetic raw materials of lip balms, lotions, skincare and personal care products.|
CAUTION: Petrolatum Jelly is only meant for external applications. Avoid using it internally, and do not use it if you are suffering from any skin ailments.
Frequently Asked Questions
Have a Question?