Mosquito-borne infections, such as dengue fever and various types of encephalitis, have long been a severe public health concern, causing significant morbidity and mortality worldwide. What can we do to get rid of these pesky mosquitos, which are proving to be more complicated than it seems?
Citronella essential oil is an excellent natural mosquito repellent that isn't as harsh as chemical-based repellents. This is a wonderful oil that can help with a variety of skin issues. This article will cover the benefits of citronella oil for mosquitoes and how to use and make your mosquito repellent at home.
From Where Does Citronella Oil Obtain From?
Citronella oil is derived from the leaves of the oil grasses called Cymbopogon nardus and Cymbopogon. The oil can be used for various things, from skin and hair treatments to soap smells. Citronella oil derivatives include the alcohol citronella and the aldehyde citronellal.
Benefits Of Citronella Oil For Mosquito Bites
Citronella oil is highly effective in getting rid of mosquitos. It's a natural way to get mosquitos away. Let's look at various other benefits of citronella oil for mosquitoes.
- Reduce Inflammation: Citronella oil's antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties may assist wound healing. It disinfects the wound, reduces inflammation, irritation, and swelling, and lowers the amount of formic acid generated by many insects when they bite, lowering the acid's effects.
- Repel Mosquitos: Citronella has been a mosquito repellant for a long time. In a dose-by-dose study, citronella is initially as effective as DEET. On the other hand, Citronella oil is short-lived and only beneficial for a short time. Furthermore, high doses of citronella can irritate the skin, so it must be used sparingly.
- Antifungal: Citronella oil has antifungal qualities, according to studies. In some cases, reapplying daily may be essential to keep fungal infections under control. It also has antibacterial properties but isn't as effective at destroying a broad spectrum of bacteria and germs as some other essential oils.
- Treating Infections: Apply a diluted form of this oil to an infected region due to wounds or other causes. It also hastens wound healing by eliminating fungi and germs that have formed on the surface. Citronella essential oil moisturizes the skin as well as the hair follicles. It boosts your skin's ability to collect and absorb moisture while nourishing your hair organically.
- Relieves Pain: Natural Citronella oil can treat insect bites, skin rashes, wounds, and other skin conditions. It has anti-inflammatory qualities, which explains why. The powerful antibacterial properties of citronella essential oil can be utilized to treat skin disorders like warts, boils, and acne. It also makes your skin appear smoother and softer than before.
Citronella Oil Mosquito Repellent - How To Make
Let's look at some citronella oil for mosquitoes recipes. Citronella essential oil can make various mosquito repellent products, ranging from cream to spray.
Citronella Oils Mosquito Repellent – DIY Homemade Cream
Citronella essential oil mosquito repellent lotion is made with Coconut Oil, the all-time favourite carrier oil. Coconut oil is beneficial in bug repellent compositions because it increases the mosquito repellent's efficacy by extending the essential oils' active working duration.
- 1/2 Cup Of Soft Coconut Oil
- Bug Repellent Essential Oil Mix: 10 Drops Of Citronella Oil, 10 Drops Of Geranium Oil, 10 Drops Of Lavender Oil.
Directions To Make Bug Repellent Cream
- Fill a clean mason jar halfway with soft coconut oil, then carefully drop in the specified amounts of essential oils.
- Close the lid and give it a good shake to properly blend the ingredients.
- Refrigerate the jar overnight for at least 2 hours to allow the flavours to meld.
- You can now keep those pesky critters at bay by applying mosquito repellent lotion to all your exposed skin areas. Reapply as needed.
Citronella Oils Bug Repellent Spray
You may make your advanced mosquito repellent bug spray with just a few natural ingredients!
- 1/4 Cup Of Witch Hazel
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup Of Distilled Water
- 15 Drops Of Lemon Oil
- 15 Drops Of Citronella Oil
Directions To Make Bug Repellent Spray
- Fill a clean spray container halfway with the ingredients listed above.
- To thoroughly mix the contents, place the cap on the container and shake vigorously.
- By spraying your surroundings, you may keep insects at bay straight away!
- Keep the spray away from your eyes, mouth, and mucous membranes to avoid irritation.
How To Use DIY Citronella Oil Mosquito Repellent
Citronella oil can be used in various ways, including in a diffuser and spray. Here are some examples of how you can put it to use.
A diffuser is a device that disperses perfume evenly throughout a space. This procedure, similar to spraying, can repel insects or provide a pleasant odour to a room. Put a few drops of citronella oil in a diffuser, or you can mix Citronella oil with other insect repellent essential oils for better results like peppermint oil, lavender oil, etc.
Massage Oils and Creams
Citronella oil, in the form of oils and lotions, can also be applied topically. This approach of using citronella oil on the skin may aid in the elimination of bacteria and fungi as well as wound healing. Always dilute essential oils with a carrier oil before applying them to the skin.
After seeing the remarkable effects of citronella oil, we're sure you'll also want to try these recipes. However, a product is only as good as its ingredients, so use the highest quality ingredients for your health. Simply go to VedaOils.com for more information. VedaOils is one of India's leading suppliers of genuine citronella oil for mosquitoes.
You May Also Like