Petroleum Jelly (USP Grade)
Petroleum Jelly or Petrolatum is one of the most used cosmetic ingredients in cosmetic and personal care products. It can prove to be beneficial for your skin if it is properly purified or refined. However, many times it is not fully refined and might create many issues. Therefore, we have manufactured totally refined USP Grade Petrolatum for our customers.
Petrolatum jelly is created as a byproduct while refining petroleum. Its melting point is a little greater than 37-degree Celsius which means almost equal to that of human body temperature. As a result, it melts easily when applied to the surface of your skin. It is used in cosmetic applications since it creates a thick film over your skin which repels water and holds moisture. Moreover, this filmy layer also protects your skin from pollutants, germs, and bacteria.
It is available in 100% pure form and is in a semi-solid state. It is a mixture of hydrocarbons that are derived from petroleum. Also, it is odorless and translucent when it comes to its appearance. Petrolatum jelly does not oxidize when exposed to air and does not dissolve in water as well. However, it gets dissolved in hot alcohol.
Petroleum Jelly Benefits
- Skin Moisturizer: Petroleum jelly is an effective emollient that does not allow moisture to evaporate from the surface of your skin. Moreover, it moisturizes your skin deeply and can be used as a lubricating agent in personal care applications.
- Viscosity Controlling: When used in formulas, petroleum jelly can improve its viscosity and bring a thick consistency. Therefore, the concentration of this product might depend on the level of thickness or consistency you want to achieve in the final product.
- Prevent Diaper Rash: Its gliding nature of petroleum jelly makes it an ideal ingredient of lip care applications as well. Moreover, you can also use it for healing diaper rashes.
- Relieve Dry Skin, Including Your Lips and Eyelids: is powerful enough to provide solid protection from burns, wind, dust, and other impurities. Also, it also prevents drying of the skin and therefore, proves to be one of the best cosmetic raw materials when it comes to the products that are used for dry or chapped skin.
- For Cracked Heels & Scars: Petroleum jelly also proves to be effective against minor cuts, burns and scrapes. However, ensure that the cuts and wounds are thoroughly cleaned before the application of petrolatum.
How to Use Petroleum Jelly?
You can use use petroleum jelly adds only when the formula is in the fat-phase. The recommended concentration level can vary between 5 and 20% as per your requirement. It is only meant for external purposes.
Petroleum Jelly Specifications
- Applications: Petrolatum or Petroleum Jelly can be one of the cosmetic raw materials of lip balms, lipsticks, lotions, pomades (hair), body lotions, creams, and other skincare and personal care products.
- Raw Material Source: Petroleum
- Manufacturing Process: It is obtained by subjecting petroleum through the process of fractional distillation and after that the retrieved product is purified in several stages.
- Tested on Animals?: No
- GMO: It does not contain any ingredients that are retrieved from plants. Therefore, it is GMO-free.
- Vegan: Yes, it can be used by Vegans since it does not contain any ingredients that are derived from animals.
- CAS Number: 8009-03-8
- INCI Name: Petrolatum
Note: This Petrolatum jelly is only meant for external application. Therefore, avoid using it internally, and do not use it if you are suffering from any skin ailments.