Infestation from lice is a common thing in children. But this condition is an irritating and embarrassing condition; people pray not to indulge in it. Luckily we have some natural solutions that can help us efficiently solve our problems. Olive oil has become a great natural ingredient to kill these tiny parasites and helps remove them.
Olive oil suffocates the lice by cutting off their oxygen supply. Whether olive oil is truly good for lice or not, we are going to explore it in this article. We will discuss the benefits of olive oil for lice and how it can be used to reap its anti-lice benefits.
Benefits Of Olive Oils For Lice
The exact mechanism that helps olive oil in killing lice still requires research. However, there are some benefits of olive oils for lice you must know about. Here are a few of them.
1. Boosts Scalp Health
Massaging olive oil on your scalp not only helps with head lice but also helps fight fungus and bacteria. It promotes good scalp health. When your scalp is healthy, it strengthens your hair follicles and encourages healthy hair growth.
2. Removes Head Lice
Olive oil is a prominent oil when it comes to removing active head lice. Not just that, it is also helpful in soothing and moisturizing the scalp. It suffocates the lice by restricting the oxygen supply, and this kills them.
3. Nourishes & Conditions Hair
Nothing beats the quality of Olive oil when it comes to nourishment and hair conditioning. It is loaded with all the necessary nutrients that provide hair with proper hydration and nourishment.
4. Reduces Hair Breakage
Another olive oil hair benefit for lice is it reduces hair breakage. It helps keep hair voluminous and thick. It also keeps a check on hair breakage. In fact, it also improves the texture and complexion of hair by keeping hair breakage at bay.
5. Repairs Damaged Hair
Olive oil is rich in Vitamin A and is also loaded with antioxidants. It can repair and reverse the damage caused by over-styling hair with heat and chemicals. It helps protect hair by locking in moisture.
How To Use Olive Oil For Lice Treatment?
Now, as we know the various benefits of Olive oil for lice, it's time to use olive oil with other beneficial natural oils and reap their anti-lice benefits. Here's how to use different oils for lice.
1. Recipe Of Olive Oil And Eucalyptus Oil For Lice & Nits
Eucalyptus oil is rich in compounds that act as strong insect repellent and antiseptic properties, and thus, it can be convinced with olive oil to get rid of head lice.
- Olive Oil - 4 Tablespoons
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil - 15 Drops
How to Make & Apply
- Take a small bowl and add olive oil and eucalyptus oil
- Mix the two oils thoroughly in the bowl. Your oil blend is ready.
- Apply the oil to your scalp. Cover your head using a shower cap.
- Wait for 2-3 hours and then wash it off. Follow this routine thrice a week.
2. Recipe Of Olive Oil And Vinegar For Lice Eggs
Olive oil and coconut oil works the same way, and white vinegar helps lice not to stick to your hair shaft. To make this blend, all you have to do is blend all the ingredients together. Here's how you can use them.
How to Make & Apply
- Add the ingredients In the bowl. Mix the ingredients.
- Apply it to your scalp and cover it with a shower cap.
- Wait for an hour, and then comb your hair to let go of all lice and eggs.
- Wash it off with shampoo.
3. Recipe Of Sesame Seed Oil And Olive Oil For Lice Infection
Olive oil and sesame seed oil are rich in antiseptic and insecticidal properties. These properties help get rid of lice and eggs effectively. Here's how you can use these two oils to get rid of lice.
- Virgin Olive Oil - 1 Tablespoon
- Sesame Oil - 2 Tablespoon
How to Make & Apply
- Take a small bowl and add olive and sesame seed oils.
- Mix them well and apply the mixture to your scalp and hair.
- Apply it to your hair and scalp. Cover your head using a shower cap.
- Leave it overnight. Comb out the dead lice and wash them off using a mild shampoo.
4. Mixture Of Olive Oil And Shampoo For Lice Removal
Olive oil is a great oil for treating head lice, and using a mild shampoo helps remove any product residue from your hair. This helps in maximizing the effectiveness of olive oil.
- Virgin Olive Oil - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Clarifying Shampoo - 2 Tablespoon
How to Make & Apply
- Wash your hair with clarifying shampoo & Apply olive oil to your hair and scalp.
- Tie your hair into a bun and put on a shower cap. Leave the shower cap for 4-6 hours.
- Remove it and comb your hair with a nit removal comb.
- Wash and shampoo your hair twice. Follow this routine 2-3 times a week.
Precautions To Take While Using Olive Oil For Hair Lice
Here are a few precautionary tips that you must know before using olive oil for hair lice. Unless you are allergic to olives, there is less risk associated with using olive oil. If your scalp is oily, then it is advised to use this oil in a limited amount as it leaves a lot of greasiness on your hair.
While summarizing olive oil for lice, we can say that olive oil is a magic potion that can get rid of head lice. Its thick texture coats the hair strands and makes it difficult for the lice to keep their hold. Hence, it becomes easier to remove the lice from your head. So, it's time you keep your lice problem at bay using olive oil in the aforementioned ways.
Frequently Asked Question
Q.1 Can You Use Olive Oil For Head Lice?
Ans: Yes, olive oil can be used for head lice as it kills active head lice and makes nit removal easier.
Q.2 Is Extra Virgin Olive Oil Good For Lice?
Ans: Yes, it can help remove head lice easily and provides nourishment and good health to the scalp and hair.
Q.3 Do Vinegar And Olive Oil Kill Lice?
Ans: Yes, combining the two ingredients vinegar and olive oil along with coconut oil can help you kill lice effectively.
Q.4 Can You Get Rid Of Lice With Olive Oil?
Ans: Olive oil makes lice removal easy by restricting the oxygen supply of the lice. As a result, lice do not find ways to survive on the scalp and as a result, die.
Q.5 How Effective Is Olive Oil For Lice?
Ans: Olive oil is an effective treatment for lice as it smothers and kills lice. All you have to do is to apply directly onto the scalp and use a nit removal comb. Once done, wash your hair with a mild shampoo.