Scented candles not only make your day but also prove to be excellent as gifts. Making scented candles at home is easy. However, if you want to add a heart-warming aroma to them, you should try making citrus and spice-scented candles. They are easy to make, but you need candle making supplies to get the recipe right. To learn more about this recipe, keep reading below.
Homemade Citrus and Spice Scented Candle Making
To make amazing citrus and spice-scented candles at home, you need a few essential oils that have spicy or citrusy notes. It is also possible to blend both the notes to create unique and mesmerizing scented candles. Apart from that, you also need candle wax, molds, wicks, and wax colours.
Candle Making Supplies:
Here are the list of ingredients that you would need to make citrus and spice scented candles:
- Soy Wax Flakes - 500 Grams
- Pre-waxed Candle Wick with Tab - 7 inches long
- Copper Shells
- Wooden Candle Wick Holder
- Candle Color Dye - 15 Grams
- Essential Oils Blend - Cinnamon, Orange, Cardamom, and Bergamot - Total 40 Drops
Know About Citrus and Spice Scented Candle Making Supplies
Soy wax is perfect for making DIY scented candles. It burns cleanly and is perfect for candles made from the melt-and-pour process. You can make scented candles quickly by using Soy wax along with citrus or spicy essential oils like Lemon, Cinnamon, Ginger, Lime, Grapefruit, Mandarine, etc. Some more details about the candle making essentials are described below:
1. Soy Wax Flakes: Soy wax burns slowly and makes your candles last longer. Therefore, it is better to use it for making scented candles. Also, it is easy to melt Soy Wax Flakes compared to other types of waxes. Soy wax burns cleanly without releasing any soot or smoke in the process.
2. Candle Wick With Tab: You may choose cotton or wooden wicks as your preference. However, wooden wicks tend to hold the fragrance for longer as they tend to burn slowly. Pre-waxed Candle Wicks burn hot and release the scent quickly. As a result, the candles fade away after some time.
3. Copper Shells: Copper shells are the copper vessels you use to set the wax. It is easy to use them, and you may even reuse them by filling the wax again. They are sturdy and hold the molten wax nicely.
4. Wooden Candle Wick Holder: A wooden wick holder will keep the wicks in place until the candle is set. Don’t use metal skewers as they may react with the wax or release an unpleasant scent. Wooden wick holder are perfect as they hold the wicks easily without creating any nuisance.
5. Candle Coloring Dye: Using wax dye is completely optional as you should use it only if you want to make candles of a specific hue. It is recommended that you use golden dye to add a sparkling glow to the flame.
6. Essential Oils: You can keep the proportions of citrus and spicy oils as your preference. However, we recommend using citrus essential oils more than spicy essential oils. For example, a ratio of 1:3 for spicy and citrus essential oils can be perfect for making aromatic candles.
How To Make Citrus and Spice Scented Candles - Step-By-Step
We are making scented candles that exude both spicy and citrusy scents here. The perfect blend of these scents will fill your room with a pleasant and soothing fragrance. To learn more about the process, follow these steps:
Step 1: Melt The Soy Wax Flakes
Heat the soy wax flakes in a microwave until they melt completely.
Step 2: Mix In The Essential Oil And Candle Dye
Allow your wax to cool for 1 to 2 minutes once it has completely melted. Next, pour your essential oil blend into the heated wax. Mix it thoroughly to ensure that the essential oil is properly blended.
Step 3: Insert The Wick Into The Copper Candle Shells
Place the pre-waxed wick in the copper candle shells. Put a little amount of wax in the center of the container's bottom. Insert the wick until it reaches the wax, allowing enough wick at the top to hang over the container's end.
Step 4: Use Wooden Candle Wick Holder
Hold the wick in place until the wax hardens, then use a wick holder to pinch the wick's top end and put it over the top of the container, maintaining the wick centered and upright.
Step 5: Transfer The Molten Wax To The Copper Candle Shells
Pour the wax over the top. Stir the wax until smooth, then carefully pour it into the container. Make sure the wick is upright in the candle jar.
Step 6: Allow The Candle Wax To Cool
Allow the wax to harden overnight. The next day, trim the excess wick, and your soy candle is ready to use.
Now that you are aware of how to make a scented candle, you can try it at your home. First, however, take enough precautions and care while making it. For instance, wear safety goggles and gloves and keep the molten wax away from pets and kids.
Finally, watch a couple of recipes on the internet to get a hack of things. Don’t melt too much wax if it is your first attempt, as you can make a huge batch of candles only when you master the art of making scented candles.