Hemorrhoids or Piles are common irritation around our rectum area. There are various causes of hemorrhoids and hard to diagnose. Hemorrhoids inside your rectum are called internal hemorrhoids and hemorrhoids that can be seen and felt outside of your rectum, called external hemorrhoids.
Hemorrhoids are likely to come with aging because the tissues that support veins in the rectum and anus can become weak and stretch. Still, nowadays, nearly half of our generation is suffering from hemorrhoids before turning 50 years of age. There are various ways by which you can treat hemorrhoids other than surgical removals like homeopathy, naturopathy, and most relaxing Aromatherapy.
If you want to go for a natural treatment for Hemorrhoids pain, then you can choose essential oils that have Anti-inflammatory properties and are included in our top 10 list of essential oil for Hemorrhoids problem. Essential oils are compounds extracted from plants, fruits, or trees. These essential oils are highly concentrated and used after diluting or diffusion. Good quality and pure essential oils cure not only external hemorrhoids but also internal hemorrhoids naturally.
Why Choose an Essential Oil for Hemorrhoids Treatment?
People prefer essential oils for Aromatherapy (healing treatment include plant extracts). Even essential oils are used while doing yoga, exercises, or meditation. Below mentioned are potential reasons why you should choose essential oils for hemorrhoids .
- Essential Oils Reduce Inflammation: Various Essential oil offers anti-inflammatory properties, it works internally on your body and alleviates further swelling of inflamed blood tissues.
- Reduce Pain, Itching, or Rashes: Very common in hemorrhoids to experience shock waves, pain, rashes, and burns at the time of bowel movements. In this case, you can also make homemade herbal hemorrhoids cream with essential oils, which will provide you much-needed relief from itching and also alleviates the hypersensitive skin. Essential oils have analgesic properties that will help you in reducing the pain.
- Alleviates Bleeding while Bowel Movement: Most people suffering from hemorrhoids and face bleeding during bowel treatment. By using essential oils in daily life, you can get some relieve from bleeding and swelling.
- Safer Option for Pregnant Women:To get rid of hemorrhoids during pregnancy period, essential oils work as a safer and more reliable option for pregnant women. You can comfortably inhale essential oils with the help of a diffuser while taking a rest.
Don't Miss: Here's Your Guide to Castor Carrier Oil
Top 10 Essential Oils for Hemorrhoids Pain
Essential oils have little to no side effects, and it is a highly effective way to reduce the severity of hemorrhoids and anal fissures. You can use essential oils for Aromatherapy, which is a therapeutic application of these essential oils. The most helpful and effective essential oils for the treatment of hemorrhoids problems are mentioned below.
Chamomile essential oil is known to have many analgesic and anesthetic properties. It also has elements such as Anodyne and tone up stomach muscles, and improves digestive functions. Chamomile oil is used to relieve many other digestive problems like gastrointestinal issues, diarrhea, constipation, and even gallstones.
Natural Chamomile essential oil also helps relieve itching and swelling, and it is typically gentle enough to be used in any skin type, even sensitive skin. Its analgesic properties not only heal hemorrhoids pain but also heal the pain in muscles and joints.
Juniper Berry essential oil comes from Juniper tree berry. This oil contains chemicals that might decrease inflammation and gas, which is good for one suffering from hemorrhoids. It is mainly used for digestion problems, including upset stomach, intestinal gas, bloating, stomach infections, and intestinal worms. Pure Juniper Berry oil cleans blood toxins and acts as a blood detoxifier.
Juniper Berry essential oil maintains the level of bile juice in the stomach, which neutralizes the acids in the stomach. This essential oil blends well with Bergamot, Cedar Wood, Cypress, Grapefruit, Geranium, Lavender, Lime, Lemon, Lemongrass, Vetiver, and some carrier oils.
Frankincense essential oil comes from the resin of the Boswellia tree. There is much historical evidence of frankincense used in ancient Egypt and other countries for its health benefits and fragrance. It has a very versatile and mesmerizing smell of woods. At the time of Aromatherapy, inhaling the scent of essential oil (or absorbing it through the skin) is known to send messages to the limbic system (which is a brain region that influences our emotions and nervous systems).
Most scientists suggest that essential oils may affect several biological factors, such as heart rate, stress levels, blood pressure level, breathing, and immune system. Frankincense essential oil speeds up the secretion of digestive juices in the stomach and smoothens the movement of food through the gut by stimulating the intestines' muscles. Frankincense oil can be used with some carrier oil and applied to the infected area to heal hemorrhoids.
Don't Miss: A Complete Guide to Carrier Oils
Tea Tree oil has anti-microbial, antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory properties that help in hemorrhoids treatment. It helps in alleviating microbial infections and heal wounds and swelling because of its anti-microbial properties. It helps in shrinking hemorrhoids and reduces itching, pain, and swelling.
Organic Tea Tree oil will help keep the infected area clean and prevent infections if bleeding, irritation, or small tears occur there. The chemicals in tea tree essential oil kill bacteria and fungus and reduce allergic skin reactions, which would ensure the sensitive areas' overall health. Natural Tea Tree oil shows little to no side effects in comparison with some other essential oils.
Lavender essential oil is distilled from the plant Lavandula angustifolia. It is believed to treat anxiety, fungal infections, allergies, sleep deficiency like insomnia, and eczema, which can be alternative problems faced by hemorrhoids patients.
Lavender essential oil is said to have antifungal, antidepressant, antiseptic, analgesic, detoxifying, hypertensive, and sedative effects on your body. Lavender is also the best recommended essential oil for Aromatherapy. It also promotes your body's overall well-being by soothing the strained nerves, improving blood circulation, and relieving your body's soreness, mainly when massaged with it.
Sandalwood oil is traditionally used for centuries. In east India, sandalwood oil has been a popular ingredient in ayurvedic medicine, an ancient medical medicine branch. Most most people use sandalwood in their day-to-day life for holistic spiritual traditions. It has analgesic and antipyretic actions that help in cooling down the temperature of your body. This cooling property mainly works well in hemorrhoids when it is applied to the hemorrhoids.
It reduces excruciating pain and can prevent infections because of its disinfecting properties. You can use sandalwood essential oil with proper instructions, or you can try this recipe:- add 4-5 drops of sandalwood essential oil to a carrier like olive oil, castor oil, or coconut oil. Mix the solution and massage on the inflamed area with a soft cotton cloth or cotton ball.
Don't Miss: Know About Mango Butter
Patchouli essential oil is made from the patchouli plant's leaves, a specific type of aromatic herb. Patchouli essential oil has a sweet, woody, and spicy smell. It is extensively used for relief in pain and inflammation from hemorrhoids, arthritis, and joint pain. The abundance of adaptogenic and sedative properties in the patchouli essential oil improves the mood and controls excess stress.
For using Patchouli essential oil, after blending, gently massage a few drops of patchouli oil with your fingers into the affected area (swelling or hemorrhoids) or on the rim of the anus.
Clove essential oil is derived from a tree named Syzygium aromaticum. Clove is already well known for its amazing herbal and antiseptic properties. Used from centuries in Indian households in food or tea to increase taste and provide health benefits both at the same time.
Clove essential oil was the most effective at stopping the growth of a range of fungi with irrespective of environmental origins. For using clove essential for hemorrhoids, add 4-5 drops of clove essential oil in 1 ounce of carrier oil and massage the ointment with a soft cotton ball.
Cypress essential oil is made from twigs, leaves, and stems of the cypress tree. Cypress essential oil is proved effective in hemorrhoids by working effectively on swollen veins around the rectum and anus and kills bacteria, which can cause further damage. It can be applied to your wounds, cuts, sores, and infection caused because of hemorrhoids and sensitive skin after diluting it with a carrier oil.
For diluting this oil, you can mix 4-5 drops of cypress essential oil with carrier oils like jojoba or almond oil and then gently massage this mixture in the sensitive areas. You can also make DIY homemade herbal special soaps or intimate wash using cypress essential oil, which will heal hemorrhoids.
Don't Miss: Know About Cocoa Butter
Geranium essential oil is made from steam distillation of the leaves of pelargonium graveolens. It has a sweet minty-rose smell, which can be termed close to a rose or lavender undertone. Anecdotal evidence also suggests geranium essential oil increases relaxation and alleviate depression. One study on mice analyzed the calming, anti-depressive effects of the Reunion geranium essential oil strain and found it effective for reducing stress in mice.
Geranium essential oil gives relief in constipation, hemorrhoids, and phlebitis. To use geranium essential oil, take 6 drops of geranium essential oil and mix it with any of the carrier oils like olive oil, coconut oil, or castor oil and massage the mixture once or twice a day.
How to Use Essential for Hemorrhoids
These essential oils are not to be applied directly to your skin to treat hemorrhoids. Since they are powerful and concentrated, you have to dilute them first before massaging them on your skin. There are many ways to use them through any medium like:
- Diffusion: Use an essential oil diffuser that will release the scent of essential oil directly to the room and works as Aromatherapy for patients with hemorrhoids. It works excellent with fragrances like lavender, frankincense, sandalwood, and patchouli essential oil.
- Massage: After mixing essential oils and appropriate oil as an essential oil is concentrated, you can use it to massage around your hemorrhoids to feel more relaxed and relieve irritation and pain. For massage purposes, you have to mix essential oils with almond oil or carrier oils.
- Sitz Bath: Take a warm bath with essential oils for better relief in any infection or sores caused by hemorrhoids sitz in a bathtub or a bowl in which you can sit and cover your anal area and wash your sensitive areas with a soft cotton cloth neatly. A regular sitz bath will provide you desirable results.
- Sanitary Wipes: You can make your soft wipes at home with some specific essential oils and carrier oils. These wipes would stop further irritation caused by toilet paper sometimes. It will also work as an antiseptic treatment for your hemorrhoids.
Best Recipes of Essential Oils for Healing Hemorrhoids
There are various methods by which you can treat hemorrhoids naturally at home. Some of the best and the easiest recipes of essential oils that you can make at home for healing hemorrhoids are:
Take A Sitz Bath
Take a bathtub or a bowl in which you can sit and cover your anal area. You can also use other essential oils other than above mentioned essential oils.
- Fill the bathtub nearly 2 to 3 inches with lukewarm water
- Add 2 Drops of Cypress oil, Helichrysum oil and Lavender oil.
- Step into the tub soak your perineum in the solution for at least 5 minutes.
- Gently dry yourself with a soft cotton towel and apply the topical cream or ointment below.
Homemade Hemorrhoids Gel
You can make your gel for hemorrhoids with Aloe Vera and essential oils at home. You can follow the following steps to prepare gel at home.
- Take 1 Tbsp witch hazel distillate (alcohol-free)
- Add 2 Drops of cypress essential oil, juniper essential oil and geranium essential oil
- Then add 8 tbsp unscented Aloe Vera gel
- Mix everything and then apply this gel twice a day.
Don't Miss: Make Homemade Sunscreen Bars
Essential Oil Blends Recipe for Hemorrhoids Swelling
Tea tree essential oil helps to reduce redness and swelling caused by hemorrhoids. You can also try out the following recipe of this oil to get rid of swelling.
- Take 1 Tbsp of coconut oil or (you can also take 1 tablespoon of witch hazel or 1 Tbsp castor oil).
- Add 2-3 Drops of tea tree oil
- Now apply this solution on your hemorrhoids or swelled up area with the help of a cotton swab
Precautions While Using Essential Oils for Hemorrhoids?
- Essential oils are natural oils, but some people can be allergic to them even when you dilute those oils with a carrier oil. That’s why it is advisable to conduct a patch test on your elbow before using them directly on your skin. Suppose you feel any irritation or uneasiness after applying the oil. In that case, you should wash that part of your body where you have applied essential oil immediately with soap and cold water.
- Take your doctor's advice if you are going for any specific essential therapy or treatment.
- Keep essential oils away from direct contact with your eyes.
- Use essential oils in the appropriate amount.
Good essential oils are the easiest and safest way of curing hemorrhoids issue. In most people, hemorrhoids cause a lot of pain and suffering, which makes them tensed ultimately. Essential oils also relieve stress and depressive symptoms, which can be the result of prolonged hemorrhoids.
Aromatherapy is usually advised by doctors and is also seen as effective in many researchers' studies. In hemorrhoids, people also fear surgical procedures or heavy medications in type 4 hemorrhoids, which can be effectively cured by essential oils if used in the right amount.