You might have heard about several natural ingredients that are beneficial for hair. However, most people don't know about Bentonite Clay and even if they have heard about it, very few people know about its hair care benefits. Before exploring its uses and benefits for hair, let's know what exactly is Bentonite Clay and where it is found!
Why Bentonite Clay?
Bentonite Clay is a natural substance that is formed due to the proximity of volcanic ash and water. Water has a considerable impact on its chemical and physical composition which results in the formation of aluminum phyllosilicate that is highly absorbent. It is mostly found during mining and dried before using it for hair care purposes.
Bentonite Clay Benefits for Hair
Now that we know what Bentonite Clay is, let's find how it is beneficial for your hair. Bentonite Clay is revered for its cleansing properties and possesses minerals like potassium, sodium, calcium, etc. that play a pivotal role in the process of hair growth. Therefore, it is a miracle ingredient for your hair. Some key benefits of Bentonite Clay for hair are discussed below:
Moisturizes Hair and Scalp - Bentonite Clay for hair & scalp cleanses impurities by moisturizing them. It is infused with mineral-rich content that hydrates the hair and scalp. It also soothes scalp irritation and itching by forming a barrier layer. Bentonite Clay is often used as a remedy against dermatitis, psoriasis, and other scalp conditions.
Enhances strength of hair follicles - Bentonite Clay can be used to fortify hair strength. It cleanses them and improves their texture naturally. As a result, the vitality of the hair follicles gets enhanced and issues like hair fall and hair breakage are considerably reduced. You get thick, healthy, and strong hair after including Bentonite Clay in your hair care routine.
Frizz Control - Frizzy hair tends to lose shine and strength over a period. Also, it leads to hair breakage and it is very difficult to manage it. Applying hair masks that containing Bentonite Clay, it controls frizz by nourishing and revitalizing hair strands. As a result, you get thicker, shinier, and stronger hair.
Controls Dandruff - Dandruff is formed due to deposits of fungus or bacteria on your scalp. The antifungal and antibacterial effects of Bentonite Clay eliminate these factors that are responsible for dandruff formation.
Bentonite clay is good for dandruff. It also absorbs sebum from your scalp and prevents fungus and bacteria from thriving on it. Moreover, the accumulated dandruff gets cleansed from your hair owing to its cleansing properties. Dandruff-free scalp leads to healthy hair.
Protects Hair - By removing dirt & excess oil from your hair, Bentonite Clay protects it from infections. The antimicrobial and exfoliating properties of this mineral-rich clay are responsible for the protection of your hair from dirt, oil, fungus, bacteria, and other factors. Hydrating your scalp and hair protects it from dryness and scalp irritation as well.
DIY Hair Mask with Bentonite Clay for Hair Detox
When Bentonite Clay is blended for hair with ingredients like Apple Cider Vinegar, It amplifies the cleansing properties. Along with ACV, you may also add some oils that moisturize and nourish your hair. While selecting the ingredients, make sure that they are pure, chemical-free, organic, and safe for your hair.
- Bentonite Clay - ½ cup
- Water - as required
- Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) - 6 tbsp.
- Castor/ Coconut/ Olive/ Sweet Almond Oil - 3 tbsp.
- Take a clay or glass bowl and add the clay to it.
- Now, add your preferred natural oil in the Bentonite Clay powder. Mix the contents thoroughly.
- After that, add ACV and continue to mix the ingredients. Leave it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pour the required quantity of water so that the hair masks spread easily onto your hair. Mix the contents nicely until it achieves a medium-thick consistency.
How to apply
- Follow these steps to apply the DIY Bentonite Clay Hair Mask to your hair:
- Wash your hair before applying the hair mask. Wet hair facilitates easy application of the hair mask.
- Part your hair and apply the hair masks on each of these parts nicely. Make sure that all the hair strands are nicely covered with the mixture.
- If the mixture hardens on your hair, use a spray bottle to sprinkle some water on it. After that, wear a shower cap and wait for 20 minutes before washing your hair. Use warm water and a mild shampoo for washing the hair. You may also use a hair conditioner after rinsing your hair.
Precautions While Applying the DIY Hair Mask
- Make sure you apply the hair mask after parting your hair in multiple sections. It will make the application process easier and you will be able to coat the mixture nicely on all of your hair follicles.
- If you don't have a shower cap, you may use a steamer or hair dryer to provide the necessary heat. Heat ensures that the hair mask penetrates the hair roots nicely.
- Wash your hair with your regular shampoo and conditioner after the hair treatment.
Side Effects of Bentonite Clay for Hair
Issues arrived that bentonite clay is safe for hair or not. These concerns have been raised because bentonite clay has aluminum in it but don't worry our body too has aluminum, so it is safe to use. It is really difficult for that part of bentonite clay to leach into your scalp. Still, a Patch test is recommended for safety purposes.
We have seen the various benefits and applications of Bentonite Clay. It promotes hair growth and tames frizzy and dry hair. By restoring the natural moisture of your scalp and hair, it heals dandruff, scalp irritation, hair breakage, and other issues. Therefore, it has been a popular ingredient in hair masks these days.
However, get Bentonite Clay only from genuine and trusted sources as unprocessed Bentonite Clay may contain a high level of toxic materials and germs. Make DIY hair masks and other recipes with Bentonite Clay and experience its benefits. It will give you fuller, thicker, and shinier hair.
You May Also Like
- Evening Primrose Oil For Skin Whitening
- Sesame Oil For Skin Whitening
- Wheat Germ Oil For Skin Lightening
- Clove Oil for Hair Growth
- Kumkumadi Oil For Skin Whitening