The use of essential oils for the holistic treatment of lifestyle diseases can never be under-estimated. While they are widely used in aromatherapy and for relaxation, they hold a special place in treating hormonal disorders like thyroid. Though nominal in size, the butterfly-shaped thyroid gland plays a very important role in the human body.
It is the epicenter that controls metabolism, hormone releases, emotions, and multiple other functions. For example, as an essential part of the endocrine system, the thyroid gland releases hormones like triiodothyronine(T3) and thyroxine (T4) that manage metabolism, mood, energy levels, fertility, and regulate body temperature, and the quality of hair, skin, and nails.
Here we share with you deep insights about the various conditions of thyroid disease and how different essential oils help heal these conditions. We also share the best essential oils for treating thyroid naturally and how to create some magical blends that can help you overcome or rather keep this condition controlled.
Different Types of Thyroid Disease
Different types of thyroid conditions affect the human body. Accordingly, various essential oils are used individually or in combination to treat these conditions.
- Essential Oils for Hypothyroidism: When the body does not produce enough thyroid hormones, the condition is called hypothyroidism. Major essential oils that treat hypothyroidism are Spearmint, Peppermint, Myrhh, Rose geranium, and Cedarwood essential oil. These essential oils may be used with prescription medicines and have no side effects.
- Essential Oils for Hyperthyroidism: An overactive thyroid condition is called hyperthyroidism. Here the body produces too many thyroid hormones. Though essential oils cannot restrict the over-secretion of thyroid hormones, they can reduce hyperthyroidism symptoms like weight loss, anxiety, irregular heartbeat, or muscle weakness. Essential oils that contribute to the treatment of hyperthyroidism are Lemongrass, Frankincense, Lavender, Wintergreen, Sandalwood, and pine.
Top 10 Essential Oils for Thyroid Problems
Thyroid hormones are essential for the human body, and their imbalance can cause various complications. However, one easy way to keep these hormones in balance is to use essential oils that help naturally heal this disease. All the essential oils discussed below are non-toxic and can be inhaled or applied topically to relieve thyroid symptoms.
1. Oregano Essential Oil for Thyroid Nodules
Oregano essential oil has been used as herbal medicine for years. It has active ingredients that exhibit strong anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antifungal properties. It is widely used in the treatment of dry skin, aching muscles, skin sores, diarrhea, indigestion, colds, and to increase the body's overall metabolism.
It relieves inflammation in the body, one of the significant effects of thyroid imbalances and poor thyroid secretion. The antioxidants in oregano essential oil reduce the damage caused by free radicals during oxidative stress.
2. Frankincense Essential Oil for Thyroid Nodules
Frankincense essential oil has great potential to boost immunity and relieves pains and aches. However, thyroid hormone imbalance often leads to dry and flaky skin, leading to other skin disorders. It promotes healthy skin by nourishing and moisturizing the skin cells.
In addition, the sedative properties of the oil help you balance emotions and mood swings often associated with hormonal imbalances. Frankincense essential oil also helps combat chronic illness and cognitive disorders related to memory, concentration, and focus of the mind.
3. Lavender Essential Oil for Thyroid
If your imbalanced thyroid hormones are causing you stress and anxiety, try some lavender essential oil that offers instant soothing and relaxation. Its perfect relaxing and calming effects reduce stress, control emotions, and increase focus and concentration.
Lavender essential oil is also known to lower cortisol levels which help in calming the mind and body. In addition, it alleviates symptoms of depression, insomnia, and other symptoms of hypothyroidism.
4. Myrrh Essential Oil for Thyroid
Antioxidants play an important role in balancing thyroid hormones. They safeguard the body against the damages caused by oxidative stress. A lack of antioxidants in the body can constantly cause increased damage and stress to the thyroid glands.
Myrrh essential oil is rich in antioxidants and immune-protective properties that curb the ill effects of oxidative stress and relieve the thyroid glands. When used in combination with frankincense essential oil, myrrh essential oil forms a powerful thyroid blend that reduces the symptoms of hypothyroidism.
5. Peppermint Essential Oil for Thyroid Nodules
Rich in menthol- a natural plant compound, inhaling peppermint essential oil or its topical application has great calming and soothing effects.
It is known to aid digestion and improve physical performance through its positive effect. Regular use of peppermint essential oil improves cognitive performance and emotional well-being.
6. Clove Bud Essential Oil for Thyroid
Clove bud essential oil is extracted from the clove buds of the evergreen clove tree. It has been widely used in Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine for ages. It is known to work as an effective stress reliever, reducing mental exhaustion and stress.
Clove bud essential oil strengthens the immune systems and activates the mind. In addition, it alleviates and provides relief from headaches, a common symptom of the thyroid, through its anti-inflammatory properties and the presence of flavonoids.
7. Lemongrass Essential Oil for Thyroid
Naturally enriched with anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties, It helps to detox the thyroid glands while optimizing their lymphatic functions. A gentle massage with a few drops of lemongrass essential oil on the inflamed thyroid glands can bring about instant relief.
It reduces swelling and inflammation, mostly associated with an overactive thyroid. With a high citric content, lemongrass essential oil is highly effective in reducing allergic and inflammatory disease responses most associated with a thyroid imbalance.
8. Clary Sage Essential Oil for Thyroid
Studies suggest that clary sage essential oil has potential effects on reducing depression and thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH). When the levels of TSH are high in the blood, the body tries to increase the production of thyroid hormones T3 and T4.
Clary sage essential oil acts as an anti-depressant and manages the symptoms of low thyroid function. In addition, the potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects of clary sage further reduce thyroid disorders caused due to inflammation and oxidative stress.
9. Wintergreen Essential Oil for Thyroid
Aching joints and strained muscles often characterize thyroid conditions in the body.
Wintergreen essential oil is rich in methyl salicylate that relieves pain and works effectively like aspirin. It is usually used topically over painful joints and tired and strained muscles to offer instant relief.
10. Sandalwood Essential Oil for Thyroid
Stress and anxiety are some of the most significant symptoms of an overactive thyroid. Sandalwood essential oil has natural cooling, and soothing property acts as an effective anti-anxiety agent.
When applied topically on the pressure points, it offers instant relief from stress, anxiety, and fatigue. It may be applied topically or used through a diffuser to obtain maximum benefits.
Thyroid Health Support Essential Oil Blend Recipes
Though essential oils cannot replace thyroid medication yet, they go a long way in relieving thyroid symptoms like anxiety, stress, muscle cramps, fatigue, and mental exhaustion. The following simple recipes of essential oil blends can effectively help heal thyroid symptoms and offer relaxation and comfort.
Recipe 1: Essential Oil Recipe for Hypothyroidism
This blend of frankincense, lavender, orange, and bergamot essential oil serves as the perfect mixture to help you overcome the symptoms and discomfort of hypothyroidism. Follow these simple steps to make your thyroid support essential blend and use it as a roll-on as per your convenience.
- Lavender Essential Oil - 10 Drops
- Sweet Orange Essential Oil - 2 Drops
- Frankincense Essential Oil - 8 Drops
- Bergamot Essential Oil - 10 Drops
- Virgin Coconut Oil - 10 ml
- In a 10 ml glass, a roller bottle adds all the essential oils and fills the remaining bottle with virgin coconut oil.
- Place the cap of the bottle and swirl to blend well.
- Once done, roll over the oil over your thyroid gland topically or on your wrists or behind the years to enjoy the calmness and soothing effects of the oil all day long.
- Alternatively, you can diffuse this oil blend in a cool-moist nebulizing diffuser that instantly affects the body's cortisol levels.
Recipe 2: Essential Oil Blend for Hyperthyroidism
Hyperthyroidism is often characterized by anxiety, irregular heartbeat, and insomnia. This essential oil blend recipe using frankincense oil, lavender oil, rose geranium oil, and chamomile essential oil serves as the ideal oil blend to overcome these symptoms.
- Lemongrass Essential Oil - 1 Drop
- Chamomile Essential Oil - 4 Drops
- Frankincense Essential Oil - 5 Drops
- Lavender Essential Oil - 5 Drops
- Rose Geranium Essential Oil - 5 Drops
- Apricot Seed Oil - 10 ml
- In a 10 ml roller bottle, add all the essential oils and apricot seed oil.
- Using the roller apply it to the base of your neck whenever you have bouts of anxiety or are overwhelmed by stress.
Overcoming thyroid disorder is not that difficult, provided one takes the right medication supported by a protein-rich diet and some mindful use of essential oils. Though essential oils do not address the root cause of thyroid imbalance, they effectively reduce thyroid symptoms and provide some significant relief.