Blackheads are the tiny dark-colored bumps on the skin due to the excessive secretion of sebum and debris, underneath the skin. Blackheads are the most common form of mild acne, which most commonly occurs on the ‘T-zone’ (forehead, nose, and chin) of the face because of the discharge of Oil by the glands present inside the skin.
Blackheads occur when the tiny hair follicles are trapped with excess oils secreted by the skin. Blackheads can be formed due to hormonal changes, build-up of bacteria in the skin, irritation in the skin, when the body secretes an excess of body oil, usage of chemical-infused products, usage of certain drugs, etc. Although it may seem difficult, natural remedies like Essential Oils are used to get rid of Blackheads.
Essential Oils are effective on the skin as they are enriched with benefits of Vitamins, Nutrients, Healing Powwer , Anti-inflammatory, and Antiseptic properties. They help in smoothening, brightening, and healing the skin. Although blackheads can be partially treated using various creams, lotion, moisturizer, and ointments, that are not the safe option as they can have many side effects on the skin. On the other hand, essential oils are organic, thus they prove to be more effective to prevent and get rid of blackheads.
Why Choose Essential Oil for Blackheads Removal?
Essential Oils are good for treating several skin and hair disorders as they are completely natural and organic. Essential Oils can make your skin healthy and rejuvenating if used in a dilute manner and appropriate quantity.
Here are some of the reasons for which you should use Essential Oils for removing Blackheads:
- Anti-inflammation and Anti-bacterial Properties: Essential Oils have anti-inflammation properties, which help in coping up with breakouts and blackheads on the skin due to excessive oil secretion. Essential Oils also have antibacterial properties, which help in overcoming bacterial infections.
- Non-Comedogenic: When highly concentrated essential oils are diluted with oils like jojoba oil or rose-hip oil, they become non-comedogenic, which means they do not clog or block the pores on the skin. Hence, Essential oils contain non-comedogenic properties, which help to get rid of blackheads.
- Reduces oily skin issue: The glands inside the Oily skin secretes excessive Oil on the surface of the skin. Sometimes external factors like hormonal changes, changes in diet, weather changes make oily skin worse, causing blackheads on the face. Using Essential Oil on the affected area can help to overcome oily skin issues.
- Alleviate pigmentation and marks: Sometimes after getting rid of blackheads, some marks and pigmentation is left behind. Essential oils like tea tree oil and jojoba oil have antioxidant properties that help in erasing pigmentation and scars on the skin, even out the skin's texture and promote healthier skin.
Don't Miss: Essential Oil Extraction Methods
Effective Essential Oils for Blackheads on Face
Essential oils can be used on the skin to treat and prevent the skin from Blackheads as they are filled with nutrients and properties that can revamp the skin. Here are the list of Essential Oils which can be used to get rid of Blackheads.
1. Eucalyptus Oil for Blackheads Issue
Eucalyptus Oil is extracted from the leaves of the eucalyptus tree. It has antiseptic, anti-inflammation, antibacterial, and anti-astringent properties. Eucalyptus essential oil is commonly used in aromatherapy. Eucalyptus Essential Oil tempers down the secretion of sebum, which clogs pores and helps in fighting against the germs that cause blackheads.
2. Use Tea Tree Oil for Blackheads
Tea Tree Oil is extracted from a plant named Melaleuca Alternifolia. It contains many antioxidants, antimicrobial, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties. It is commonly known for its medicinal and aromatic uses. Tea Tree Oil kills the bacteria, which causes blackheads. It also cleanses the pores and prevents the skin from discharging excess oils.
VedaOil’s Tip: Massage the blackheads-prone area with Tea Tree Essential Oil and leave it for a couple of hours and then wipe your face clean with hot water towel. This will loosen and remove the blackheads easily
3. Clary Sage Oil for Blackheads
Clary Sage Oil is extracted from the buds and leaves of the Salvia sclarea herb. It prevents the skin from inflammation, bacterial infections and acts as a natural astringent. Clary sage oil can be used as skin balms or toners.
Clary Sage Essential Oil helps in reducing excess production of debris and opens clogged pores. It also gives relief on the inflamed areas like the nose, chin, and forehead, that are the more likely to be most affected by blackheads.
Don't Miss: Ultimate Guide to Natural Butters
4. Lemon Oil for Blackheads Problem
Lemon Essential oil is extracted from the zest and peels of lemon. It is enriched with nutrients like vitamin C, antifungal antioxidants, and antimicrobial properties. It helps in preserving the skin tone and brightening the skin.
Lemon Oil works against inflammation and microbes, which causes blackheads. It also helps in deeply cleansing the clogged pores and getting rid of excess oil on the skin's surface. Lemon Essential oil also helps in getting rid of the dead skin cells.
5. Geranium Essential Oil for Blackheads Removal
Geranium Oil is extracted from the leaves of the Pelargonium graveolens plant. It provides a soothing effect on the skin as it is highly rich in antimicrobial, astringent properties, antioxidants, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory.
Geranium Essential Oil is used as a toner and skin balancing balm on the skin's surface as it helps to reduce inflammation and irritation. Geranium Oil also reduces acne breakouts, blackheads, and whiteheads.
6. Best Jojoba Oil for Blackheads
Jojoba Oil is the waxy oil extracted from the seeds of a Jojoba plant. It is filled with the goodness of Vitamin D, A, B, C, E, Omega 6, Omega 9, Zinc, and Copper. It is one of the most gentle and mild Essential Oil so that it can be used as a Carrier Oils as well.
VedaOils’s Tip: Mix Jojoba Essential Oil with almond oil and use it as a cleanser on your face for a magical effect.
Don't Miss: Know About Jojoba Carrier Oil
7. Natural Lavender Oil Good for Blackheads
Lavender Oil is extracted from the Lavandula angustifolia plant. It is used to treat allergies, eczema, fungal infections, discoloration, clogged pores, etc, as it has antiallergic, and antifungal properties.
Lavender Essential Oil kills the bacterias that cause skin disorders. It is a natural skin purifier, and cleanser helps to clean the blocked pores by removing the dirt and excess oil, which causes blackheads and irritation.
VedaOil’s Tip: Take a steamer with water and add 3-4 drops of Lavender Essential Oil in it and continue taking steam on your face for 5-7 minutes. It will loosen the blackheads and also remove the dirt and excess Oil on the face.
8. Grapefruit Oil for Blackheads Issue
Grapefruit Oil is extracted from the peel of the Citrus paradisi fruit. It has a tangy and citrus kind of fragrance. It has antimicrobial, antiviral and skin permeation properties. It is one of the best agents that detoxifies the skin.
Grapefruit Essential Oil eliminates harmful bacteria and microbes on the skin. It contains limonene which cleanses, soothes, and uplifts the skin. In addition, grapefruit Oil helps to get rid of blackheads by removing the Oil and dirt trapped in the pores.
VedaOil’s Tip: Dilute the Grapefruit Essential Oil with water and use it as a toner to spray it on your face.
9. Pure Cedarwood Oil for Blackheads
Cedarwood Essential Oil is extracted from the leaves, bark, needles, and berries of cedar trees. It has antiseptic, insecticidal and antispasmodic properties. In addition, it has been proved beneficial for removing stubborn acne and pimples.
Cedarwood Essential Oil slows down the process of melanin oxidization, which can be a cause of blackheads. It also helps in soothing and calming the irritation on the skin as it has anti-inflammatory properties.
10. Organic Juniper Berry Oil for Blackheads
Juniper Berry Oil is extracted from the Juniperus communis tree. It has many medicinal and culinary uses. The aroma of Juniper Bery Oil is spicy and woody. It has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anticancer, and antibacterial properties. It is also a very good source of Vitamin C.
Juniper Berry Oil has uncountable skin healing properties. It also contains substances like camphor and limonene, which are anti-inflammatory that helps to prevent & fight blackheads. In addition, VedaOil provides the highest quality and cruelty-free Juniper Berry Essential Oil at the most affordable price.
How to Use Essential Oils for Blackheads
There are many ways to use Essential oils to get rid of Blackheads. Some of the ways are given below:
Skin Exfoliator: Scrubs and Exfoliators made up of Essential Oils are used to remove the Blackheads on the skin as they are used to get rid of Oil and dirt that is trapped inside the clogged pores. Essential Oil exfoliators rejuvenate the skin and make it look radiant.
Spot Treatment: Essential Oil like Tea Tree Essential Oil, Eucalyptus Essential Oil, and Lemon Essential Oil can be used on the particular spots or areas that are most Blackhead prone. Using Essential Oils regularly can help to unclog the pores easily.
Facial Steam Using Essential Oil: Steams with hot water and a couple of drops of Essential Oil in it will loosen the dirt and blackheads on the skin. Facial steams will also remove the excess oil on the skin.
Blend Recipes using Essential Oils for Blackheads
Apart from the essential oils mentioned above, there are many other essential oils like Sweet Orange Essential Oil, Tangerine Essential Oil, Lemongrass Essential Oil, Myrtle Essential Oil, etc., which helps in getting rid of Blackheads. You can DIY your recipe using Essential Oil to prevent Blackheads on your skin. Here are some of the recipes mentioned below:
Peel-off Mask for Blackheads
- Take ⅛ cup of warm water in a bowl, add 2 Drops of Clary Sage Essential oil and 2 drops of Grapefruit Essential Oil.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of gelatin and ½ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder and mix it well.
- Apply this mask on your nose, chin, and forehead or you can apply it on your entire face.
- Let the mask dry. Then, peel it off and rinse the face with warm water.
Don't Miss: Make Tea Tree Oil Soap at Home
Face Scrub for Blackheads
- Add 2 Tablespoons Coconut oil and raw honey with 4 tablespoons of organic coffee grounds in a jar.
- Mix 8 Drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil and 6 drops of Lavender Essential Oil in it and blend it.
- Exfoliate your face using this face scrub and especially on the blackhead prone area.
- You can store this face scrub for 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Toner for Clear Skin
- Add 1 Teaspoon purified water and 1½ tablespoons Aloe Vera gel in a small bottle, mix it thoroughly.
- Add ⅛ Teaspoon Vitamin E Oil and jojoba oil to the mixture.
- Now add 6 Drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- Use this mixture as a toner to get rid of blackheads.
Precautions to be Taken While Using Essential Oils for Acne
- If you are suffering from fungal infections, allergies, eczema, or any other skin conditions, you must consult your doctor before using any Essential Oil.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women are advised to consult their gynecologists before using any essential oil.
- You must use Essential Oils on the skin only after diluting it with an adequate amount of water or carrier oils.
- You must perform a patch test of Essential Oil before applying it to your face.
- In case you feel any irritation after applying Essential Oil on your face. Rise it immediately using soap or a face cleanser.
Essential Oils are made up of all plant-based ingredients, so they are completely natural and organic. Essential Oils have innumerable benefits for the skin. Using Essential oils makes skin radiant and beautiful.
Natural Essential Oils are so much better than using any chemical-based product because they are made up of all-natural ingredients and do not cause harm to the skin in any way. Essential Oil helps brighten the skin, unclogging the pores, removing blackheads, acne, and pimples.
Essential Oils are packed with nutrients and skin-benefitting properties. They work on improving the overall issues of the skin rather than any particular issue. Using it regularly and in the right way can help your skin in so many ways and show you incredible results.