Commonly referred to as potash lye or caustic potash or just lye, Potassium Hydroxide is an inorganic compound. It contains a powerful base in the form of hydroxide and therefore, it can be used as a pH controller or stabilizer when the formulation is highly acidic.
Potassium Hydroxide finds its use in different industries for the manufacturing of cleaning products, cosmetics, and personal care products. It is also used for refining petroleum and as a thickener when it comes to cosmetic applications like lotions, gels, and creams. Though it is also used as a pH controller in the food industry, the Potassium Hydroxide that we are providing here is strictly meant for products that are to be used externally.
Potassium Hydroxide is useful for making soaps as it plays a key role in a process called saponification. Due to its cleansing properties, it is also used widely for manufacturing house cleaners, drain cleaners, and detergents. Though used during the formulation phase of soaps and cosmetics, this ingredient will not be present in the actual product as it gets utilized totally during saponification.
Potassium Hydroxide is suitable for all skin types but people who are allergic to lye must be careful before its use. Our skin contains a barrier called the acid mantle that protects it from external pollutants, bacteria, dust, toxins, and allergens. However, application of skincare products and cosmetic applications that are acidic tend to break this mantle which results in premature aging of your skin.
Adding Potassium Hydroxide to such products will control the acidity and protect the acid mantle from breaking down. As a result, this cosmetic raw material indirectly contributes towards the prevention of skin aging.
Potassium Hydroxide Benefits
- Balances Formulas: Potassium Hydroxide has a special feature of attracting water from surroundings and absorbing it into the water that is already absorbed in it. As a result, it proves to be a key ingredient in balancing the formulas without making them too watery. Moreover, adding it does not alter the chemical composition of formulas in any way.
- Convenient & Safe to Use: Potassium Hydroxide is available in the form of white flakes that can be easily crushed into powder. Therefore, it is convenient and flexible to use in a wide range of cosmetic and skincare applications. It is also considered to be a safe cosmetic ingredient due to its mild nature and compatibility with various natural ingredients.
- Straightens Hair: The ability of Potassium Hydroxide to detangle hair strands makes it an effective ingredient in hair straighteners and hair styling products. Due to its high solubility, it is used in numerous products that are soap-based. It is mostly used while manufacturing liquid soaps as it promotes saponification of fats that is key to the soap-making process.
- Cleanses Skin: Its high caustic nature of Potassium Hydroxide enables it to cleanse your skin pores deeply. Potassium Hydroxide removes dirt, dust, and other toxins from your skin and also makes it oil-free and light. However, it does not eliminate the natural oils that are essential for the overall health of your skin. Therefore, you can utilize it as one of the key ingredients in face scrubs, body scrubs, peel-off masks, etc.
- Strong Base: As Potassium Hydroxide is a strong base, it tends to react easily with acids to form potassium salts. Therefore, it can even be used to manufacture disinfectants and pesticides. It is also preferred in soaps that are formulated to keep away pests and insects.
How to Use Potassium Hydroxide?
The use level of this ingredient can be up to 4.5% while using it for making cleansers and soaps. It might be used in different concentration levels for other products. However, Potassium Hydroxide is formulated for external purposes only.
|Raw Material Source:||Potassium Chloride|
|Manufacturing Process:||A process called electrolysis of KCL (Potassium Chloride) is used to manufacture Potassium Hydroxide.|
|IUPAC Name:||Potassium Hydroxide|
|Molecular Weight:||56.1056 grams/mole|
|Boiling Point:||290 °C|
|Flash Point:||160 °C|
|Grade Standard:||Technical Grade|
|Shelf Life:||24 months|
|Alternative Names:||Caustic Potash, Lye|
|Applications:||Cosmetic, Personal Care, Skincare, and Haircare|
CAUTION: This product is only meant for external application. Therefore, avoid using it internally, and do not use it if you are suffering from any skin ailments.
Buy Potassium Hydroxide Online in India at Wholesale Prices
VedaOils is one of the leading suppliers, manufacturers and wholesale exporters of Potassium Hydroxide and other cosmetic raw materials in India. We offer the best quality cosmetic raw materials to our customers. Buy Potassium Hydroxide at the best price in India through Veda Oils’ online portal. We ensure smooth and safe transactions.
We also employ a high standard of delivery to supply your order in the best quality. You can buy our cosmetic raw materials at wholesale prices as we are offering them in bulk quantities. Get premium-quality raw cosmetic ingredients like Potassium Hydroxide so that you can use them to enhance the appearance, properties, usefulness, and effectiveness of your end products.
Frequently Asked Questions
Have a Question?